Cooking sparrows

I have a problem with English sparrows also.They go after the hens scratch and raid my garden also.
I bought a 177.cal pellet rifle at Walmart.One pump, one shot...works pretty good.They are still around, they learn fast when getting shot at though..!
They are harder to pick off now, but they seem to be less of a problem now and are more cautous.
I wouldn't think theres much to eat on a sparrow, and it sure must be allot of work cleaning them up to cook...! I wouldn't bother myself. Hey... anyone up for some Blackbird Pie...lol I think their a bit meatier...
smile.png

Thank you calista for those recipes!

I also want to add the Sparrow pie recipe that i found online on another forum.

Sparrow pie
12 sparrow breasts...(Oh C'mon BOY...who would try to find any leg or wing meat on them birds????)
1 can mushroom stems/pcs DRAINED
1 can tomato soup
2 stalks diced celery
4 diced green onions...green and all
1/2 tsp dry sage

Braise the bird breasts in bacon grease till golden all over, let cool and shred meat off bone with a fork.
Mix everything together and spoon into 2 Unthawed frozen pie crusts in pie plates.
Top with leftover mashed taters. (Or mix up instants.)
Bake 35-45 min@325 till taters are golden.

credit goes to Lil' John from shotgunworld forums.
(dont mean to advertise or anything, i didnt put a link, if such credit is wrong please delete and forgive me)

Maybe you could keep them caged for a few days just to make sure they aren't sick. If they all look healthy after a quarantine period then they're probably safe. If any of them look sick you could remove and discard those.

Cooking them does sound like a lot of work but it certainly makes sense to not just waste them. I'd be curious to taste it too.

Good luck.

Quote:
I would set up a bird feeder for other kinds of birds, i like birds that come in spring and stay for the summer season. I love swallows for example and i wish i see one in my yard, i might also make a bird nest for them sometime to try to attract them.

But those sparrows that reside in my area and have discovered my yard, drive me nuts! They are infact 1000s of them, i am not kidding. They are pests!

Yes i want a revenge, if i dont risk my health. I am that kind of person.

When i used to fish with fishing pole, those colored fishes called "Ornate wrasse" used to eat my bite, until i got fed up and got 2 fish traps for their size, i got 50 of them in 30 minutes and rushed home, cleaned them, and ate them. This is justice!

I am glad i dont have foxes messing around, yet. Because i will be asking you all if its safe to eat a fox then
smile.png

@WillieBoy:In my opinion, i think cleaning up 20 of them a time, would not be that time consuming as it seems, i must try first tho. The problem occurs when i am not around, in my case if i was there with or without a pellet rifle, they disappear.
sad.png

Sparrow traps FTW! I will build my own repeating sparrow trap very soon.

edit: here is a video of some guy showing how to build one. Video is 3 parts.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Very easy to build!

Last edited:
Quote:
I would set up a bird feeder for other kinds of birds, i like birds that come in spring and stay for the summer season. I love swallows for example and i wish i see one in my yard, i might also make a bird nest for them sometime to try to attract them.

But those sparrows that reside in my area and have discovered my yard, drive me nuts! They are infact 1000s of them, i am not kidding. They are pests!

Yes i want a revenge, if i dont risk my health. I am that kind of person.

When i used to fish with fishing pole, those colored fishes called "Ornate wrasse" used to eat my bite, until i got fed up and got 2 fish traps for their size, i got 50 of them in 30 minutes and rushed home, cleaned them, and ate them. This is justice!

I am glad i dont have foxes messing around, yet. Because i will be asking you all if its safe to eat a fox then
smile.png

@WillieBoy:In my opinion, i think cleaning up 20 of them a time, would not be that time consuming as it seems, i must try first tho. The problem occurs when i am not around, in my case if i was there with or without a pellet rifle, they disappear.
sad.png

Sparrow traps FTW! I will build my own repeating sparrow trap very soon.

edit: here is a video of some guy showing how to build one. Video is 3 parts.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Very easy to build!

I have not trapped sparrows yet but pigeons are not hard at all. I tie the doors up on the trap the first coupla days get them coming to the bait then arm the trap, it is easy after that. The same strategy works for hava hearts pre bait for a coupla days it is easy after that

Foodkillah, I feel your pain.
somad.gif
It isn't unusual to go out at anytime of day and see well over 100 sparrows around my chicken feeder. Really, the things are a menace. But I have to tell ya' I never thought about eating them!
sickbyc.gif

No way that i would eat them...
But... if you are going to trap them and stuff.... why not cook them for your chickens??
Extra protein and feed .. win, win situation! ....
wink.png

Good Grief! Sparrows are a part of nature. They are no threat. Deal with it. If you don't want them eating your chicken feed, feed the chickens inside a coop that has small opening wire.

I reckon take 20 sparrows, clean and plucked, marinate in salt, pepper, garlic overnight, deep fried till crunchie and eat with sauce of your choice will make a great snack...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom