Cooking sparrows

Be sure they are the English Sparrows ,the ones that are the pest.Not native to the US. All other sparrows are protect by most state laws, under song birds.

To clean , just pop the breast off and remove skin, just a few second per bird. Thats how i clean quail.

Sounds like you are asking the wrong question. Instead of asking how to eat a sparrow why not study how to feed your chickens in a way that the sparrows can not get it.
My feed trough is under the chicken house and the girls have a 20 foot caged run that they have to walk through to get to it. I saw a sparrow fly into the run once (the door is opened during the day) and soon flew out never to return. Also having the feed under the Chicken house protects it during the rain.
I subscribe to the theory that when you eliminate a pest you are opening the door to more resilient pests.
I did read that the starving people in Africa eat sparrows.

I'm with Deerman. Grab the wings in one hand and the feet in another and pull apart. Or you can step on the wings and pull the feet. The breast will pop off. It's very easy.
As for diseases, these things are sharing feeders with the chickens, so any communicable diseases they have, the chickens probably already have it. Now, eating those eggs, I'd imagine you'd already have been exposed.

While you're killing the English house sparrow (EHS) (it's actually a weaver finch), take out the European starlings (ES) too (now there's a meal). These two non-native birds kill hundreds of thousands of our native hole-nesting birds, e.g., bluebirds, every year. Near the end of the 19th century, some idiotic multi-millionaire who was a Shakespearean enthusiast paid for all the European birds mentioned in Shakespear plays to be brought to the U.S. and released in New York City's Central Park. Only the super-aggressive EHS and ES survived. Within 25 years they had moved west all the way to California, taking almost all of the natural woodpecker holes that our many kinds of hole-nesting birds needed. That's why now we have to put up special housing for them, but even what we put up the EHS and ES (S&S) take if they can get in. Kill 'em ALL!

Just this weekend I witnessed one of my layers peck, kill, and eat a sparrow. It looked to me like the little bugger landed near the hen to get some of the scratch she was eating and just got too close. It tried several times to get away, but that hen killed it and then proceeded to pluck the feathers and eat it! Quite the instinct if you ask me. It's not like momma hen was around to teach her that trick. You need to get some more aggressive chickens that's all!

LOl LOL..this thread has me cracking up. I have never eaten one, but I don't see anything wrong with it..ppl. eat dove and pheasant right??

They're invasive exotics anyway. We should make English sparrows a new fad food and help our local birds out some. I've read where Anthony Bourdain talks about street food in Vietnam, the cook them whole, with heads on deep fried and then salted. The bones after frying are supposedly soft enough to eat. He says they are shockingly good!

Sparrow is actually considered a delicacy in China. DH tried to eat some when he was over there. The hard thing was trying to get all the tiny bones out of his mouth.

I like the way the topic goes and i appreciate all your opinions. I personally dont live in the USA, but somewhere in Europe, in an island in Mediterranean sea. (i dont wish to say which country or exact location).

They are native here, they are not foreign birds that appeared out of nowhere, its their land too. Not living in USA, any states laws dont apply to me, but since this is an open topic and many people have the same problem and live in USA its good you mentioned it. I am not sure if any law protects them in my country, sometimes the laws in my country dont even protect the people.

I LOVE the idea of feeding them to my chickens.

Would chickens eat meat? I did not know that. So far i feed them bird feed and store bought vegetables(sometimes).

I keep my chickens for the eggs, because i have a year old daughter and i do my best for her to get the freshest egg everyday.

Will feeding the chickens with meat, affect the quality of the eggs?? Please share your opinions on that because this is something i dont want.

I think those sparrows have computers and use the internet, because today, they were even more, like they all grouped together to piss me off even more, its becoming a nightmare.
somad.gif

Covering my yard with bird wire is not an option, its huge and will look like a jail and tennis cort all together. I do have a small kind of cage with a small opening and this is where i put the feed for the last 2 weeks, it does not work, they are all over the place, i dont want to do something to hide my chickens and limit their freedom because of the sparrows. I plan to build a big coop in the near future, but i will build the trap sooner.

They are a part of nature, right, so am i though
droolin.gif
*eats a baby sparrow alive*

I am not starving or anything, i havent eat any sparrows yet, but i still see nothing wrong at eating healthy sparrows, thats why i opened this topic to see if i am the only one or not, and i am sure i am not the only one that would eat sparrows.

Back
Top Bottom