Sierra Hughes

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2017
IMG_2988.JPG
I have a coop inside a chicken run. (Two of them actually)

Should I close the coop doors at night if the runs that are attached to the coop are locked shut? See photos.

It looks like you have a welded wire outer fence, but only chicken wire covering the run. I would close the coop doors at night, for added predator protection. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but does little to stop any predators.

It looks like you have a welded wire outer fence, but only chicken wire covering the run. I would close the coop doors at night, for added predator protection. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but does little to stop any predators.
Thank you!! I wasn't sure since the coop us it's own attached run with hardware wire. They are up the ladder in they coop, but didn't know to close that door to keep them completely inside.

I'd close it up tight either by hand or an auto door. My concern, in my experience with minks, is they kill at night and can get through tiny openings. I'm sure a coon could get through the chicken wire given a little time to think it through. Beautiful set up you have there.

As a follow up, last night around 10pm when I went down to close the door to the coop and run, there was an opossum up on roost and it looked like it was about to eat a Silkie. I chased it out and it squeezed through chainlink. It was a medium sized opossum. So this morning I put hardware mesh on top of the chainlink. I live in an urban area, so can only imagine how many predators could squeeze through to get at the chickens.

As a follow up, last night around 10pm when I went down to close the door to the coop and run, there was an opossum up on roost and it looked like it was about to eat a Silkie. I chased it out and it squeezed through chainlink. It was a medium sized opossum. So this morning I put hardware mesh on top of the chainlink. I live in an urban area, so can only imagine how many predators could squeeze through to get at the chickens.

That was brave of you! I live in on 10 acres in the north woods and have seen more fox in broad daylight this summer than ever before. Coyotes howl every night and coons, possums, minks, bobcats, skunks and bears prowl around after dark. It's hard to keep a bird feeder in one piece around here.

Back
Top Bottom