coop bedding- what do you prefer??

Yes they do. I get their Red Lake Earth brand Diatomaceous Earth in 20 pound bags for 13.00. It has Calcium Bentonite Supplement. Check with your local store before you go. Mine is often out as we have a number of large back yard poultry operations (like mine) in the area plus it is used by goat and sheep operations, horse barns, in the yard and around the house to control insects, etc.
Thank you so much! I posted another thread asking of that was the right stuff (food grade), and it was suggested that I wait to use it because my girls are only 7 weeks. I don't know if the calcium supplement will interfere with their growth? I'm new at this, and just basically understand no calcium until they start laying - something about it interfering with bone growth (?). I wasn't going to add it to their food - just a light sprinkle in the coop and in the dust bath area. Do you think it's okay to use it with younger birds, or do I need to wait until they start laying?

I'm headed to TSC anyway to pick up Sav-a-chick electrolyte packs. After reading so much about chicken illnesses it seems like a good thing to have on hand. I'll check for the DE as well, since you mentioned they are often out. Even if I don't need it now I will someday. Thanks for the help!

My chicks are 7 weeks old a light dusting of the DE has not hurt them any. They don't even know it's there. I don't put it in or near the food.

We used the hemp bedding in the brooder, it's super absorbent and a lot nicer than pine shavings, but at 24 euros for a 150 liter bale, it's not exactly cheap. I'd love to use it together with the peat though, if I could find it a bit cheaper somewhere.

If I've understood correctly, it was the cotton plantation owners that lobbied for banning hemp in the US, it would have cut down their profits greatly. 
and the paper industry.
Imagine all the trees that would not need to be cut if people used hemp (stronger and more durable paper...I believe the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp parchment.

and the paper industry.
Imagine all the trees that would not need to be cut if people used hemp (stronger and more durable paper...I believe the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp parchment.
And that thing is virtually indestructible, just look at what Nick Cage put it through
wink.png

Sure did good for Finnish industry though, trees we've got an overabundance of. Too bad converting to electronic format is cutting down on export... And cheap wood from developing countries is used too, at least here we do sustainable forest utilization.

I prefer sand. NOT play sand but construction grade for cement or mortar. If you are able, tilling the sand into the ground is the best way to make easy removal for cleaning and compost purposes. Sand will absorb moisture from water spills and wet poo. It can also help with smells.

Back
Top Bottom