coop bedding- what do you prefer??

cats and chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
north ga
So as a new hen mom, I am wondering what everyone uses for the floor of their coops?
I have a small coop with only 2 nesting boxes and have been using pine shavings for the past few months.
Is straw better, or should I leave the floor bare (dirt)? I feel like a lot of food gets wasted in the shavings and there are a LOT of flies swarming.
Btw, my girls spend a great deal of time in the coop because I have a neighbor whose dog likes to kill my chickens, so all of their treats get thrown in there as well. I like that they have to root around for their food, but worry about the wasted food and flies bringing diseases.

well, chickens are practically ducks and ponds are practically aquariums, so I think we're in bounds here lol.

Again, sorry OP! I couldn't help myself with the humor!

A little humor is always a good thing. I think part of the problem with much of our society is that we've forgotten how to laugh at ourselves. :eek:)

I'm not saying pea gravel is better and/or worse than sand. What I'm saying is that the quoted article is full of speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt when considering your bedding options.

Research from a university study contradicts both the bacteria and temperature points the article makes:
http://www.aaes.auburn.edu/comm/pubs/highlightsonline/spring00/sand.ht

"Moisture and ammonia levels were similar to pine shavings, with significantly lower numbers of bacteria in the sand."
"
Houses equipped with sand as a litter had less dust, lower darkling beetle levels, less caking, and more beneficial temperatures (the temperature was 2oF cooler in summer and warmer in winter months)."
ml

These are just more examples of why there is no one right way to do things many things (including bedding) where chickens are concerned. As long as something works for the person who has chickens, he and she will continue to use it (and why not?). :eek:)

Wouldn't want to explain hemp I don't think they would understand it if I got busted . So to keep it legal tobacco is the better way for me .

"But Officer, I only grow it for my chickens!"

lau.gif

Hi Michael,

Question about the pea gravel. You don't have fly or moisture problems?

Our coop is 2 levels and on the bottom is pea gravel. The top inch or so is dry but it's damp/wet the lower you dig. I scoop out the poops each day and give it a good stir but the flies are all over it. It never gets direct rain, either. We were going to remove the gravel and replace with shavings and try deep litter method.

Thanks for your input, Julie :)
Is your coop in a low spot compared to it's surroundings? Sounds like underground water is collecting there, so the pine shavings might get too moist. You might consider trying them over the gravel though, if the top stays dry it seems like it would work as drainage under the shavings.

Ya see, (IMO) its all about easy maintenance. Constantly cleaning up after chickens is something I try to minimize. The less work I have to do, the happier I am. Its also about out of pocket expenses. You have to generalize whats going to work best for your situation and how much time and effort you want to put into it. A little more thought sometimes saves a whole lot of effort later. If you find yourself getting tied down to constant attentive needs, then chances are what you are doing needs more thought to do someting easier. Coop size, and flock size plays a cructial roll in what part you yourself will be spending with the cleanup and waste disposal unit! This is an open forum and the perspective derived is only intended to give you options and suggestions. Use it the best way you can to configure a plan that best suits your own needs to spend as minimal time and effort maintaining it during all types of weather and circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom