coop bedding- what do you prefer??

Yes, sand in fish tanks has oxygenated water (supplied by the circulation of the water which breaks the surface tension allowing it to absorb oxygen), flowing over the sand which causes beneficial, aerobic bacteria to thrive in the sand. If the pumps stop working so that the water is not absorbing oxygen, then anaerobic bacteria begins to thrive, replacing the dying aerobic bacteria (which require oxygen to thrive) and this in turn, will eventually lead to the fishes' death.

Yes, sand in fish tanks has oxygenated water (supplied by the circulation of the water which breaks the surface tension allowing it to absorb oxygen), flowing over the sand which causes beneficial, aerobic bacteria to thrive in the sand.  If the pumps stop working so that the water is not absorbing oxygen, then anaerobic bacteria begins to thrive, replacing the dying aerobic bacteria (which require oxygen to thrive) and this in turn, will eventually lead to the fishes' death.

So sand can grow both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.
Lol.

not talking chickens here
Really you would want your sand deep enough that it does create a deep sand bed so the top has aerobic and deep down it has the anaerobic which is denitrifying ("eats" nitrates). But that's for another board

Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

So sand can grow both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.
Lol.

not talking chickens here
Really you would want your sand deep enough that it does create a deep sand bed so the top has aerobic and deep down it has the anaerobic which is denitrifying ("eats" nitrates). But that's for another board

Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

LOL! No problem, we were getting away from the realm of chickens anyway. Aquariums and fish are a whole different subject.

I use a mix of sand and peat moss. I know I know, some will say it is too dusty and bad for breathing but here in dead cold Quebec Canada, I had to find an alternative that absorbs moisture a lot and doesn't freeze solid in -40C like sand alone does. We have had no problems and chickens are happy happy

I use very fine shavings, and put a layer of food grade diatomaceous earth underneath it. The DE takes care of the flies and also the birds dustbath themselves so I have no bird lice. Good Luck!!!!

I have been using sand and a pooper scooper for the last year and love it. I have used pine shavings, hay and dry leaves, all started to stink after a few days. Sand keeps it really fresh,
Takes maybe 3 minutes every morning to scoop out my 4x4 coop. My 30'x30' run has mostly dry leaves, its like a forest floor.

Back
Top Bottom