coop bedding- what do you prefer??

Depends a bit. In Finland, wetting a deep litter is a traditional way to heat a chicken coop during winter.

That's really interesting! Basically you're turning the coop into a hot compost pile - and in turn keeping your chickens warm? Wow - I'm going to have to read more about that. I don't think it would work for me (winter doesn't exist where I live, lol!), but it's interesting all the same. How much of a temperature difference can you achieve between the outside temps and in the coop? How does that work with ventilation?

Okay, I'm going to start googling. Otherwise I'll ask you a million questions, lol!

that's also when the only thing that can live are the good "bugs" right? Mold and such can't thrive because it's so cold?
At least I haven't heard of issues with mold. It's basically composting, so I would assume that the beneficial bacteria keeps the not wanted strains in check. I don't have experience with the method myself, but many Finns use it without problems. The most usual problem people have, is that they aren't wetting it enough to get the "burn" going. But there is a balance to find to it, or so I've understood. Maybe wetting it too much can create a favorable atmosphere to the unwanted strains.

At least I haven't heard of issues with mold. It's basically composting, so I would assume that the beneficial bacteria keeps the not wanted strains in check. I don't have experience with the method myself, but many Finns use it without problems. The most usual problem people have, is that they aren't wetting it enough to get the "burn" going. But there is a balance to find to it, or so I've understood. Maybe wetting it too much can create a favorable atmosphere to the unwanted strains.
yeah, keeping it too wet makes it go anaerobic and create Sulphur producing bacteria. And trust me, when something goes anaerob-you can tell! (Rotten eggs when it's disturbed.)

It's similar to how you water plants, you want it moist but not soggy, so it's best to have a well drained false-bottom of gravel underneath, so you can really soak it and the excess drains off into the gravel/soil beneath. This also washes down the high nitrogen content in the urates from the chickens.

I believe part of the reason why this is how watering plants work is because they thrive off healthy microbes in the soil as well as nutrients. As with people which are mostly bacteria (really, we are just hundreds of billions? of bacteria on our skin, inside our digestive and other systems that keep us healthy) I believe all complex life probably also relies heavily on very high numbers of microbes

I thought keeping bedding dry was like a cardinal rule of chicken keeping? I'd be worried about diseases and mold with wet litter.

Just curious, but what are you using for litter? I'm in the Gulf coast too, and the humidity is miserable. Ten minutes outside and I was soaked to the skin. If you spray down the litter, how are you getting it to dry inside a coop?

Thank God, I don't live down south La. I'm in NW and it's humid, but not a killer. I spray down the coop and girls for about 1 minute. Just enough to keep it from being too dusty but not damp at all. I have an open coop and even with rain storms it still will dry in a few hours. I can't finish up the 2nd dog kennel until payday on the 3rd so my 11 babies are in a storeroom that's over 100. Even with A/C and a fan. Using nutri drench and ice bottles and it is helping. But I'm frustrated. Too old to do it myself
he.gif

yeah, keeping it too wet makes it go anaerobic and create Sulphur producing bacteria. And trust me, when something goes anaerob-you can tell! (Rotten eggs when it's disturbed.)

It's similar to how you water plants, you want it moist but not soggy, so it's best to have a well drained false-bottom of gravel underneath, so you can really soak it and the excess drains off into the gravel/soil beneath. This also washes down the high nitrogen content in the urates from the chickens.

I believe part of the reason why this is how watering plants work is because they thrive off healthy microbes in the soil as well as nutrients. As with people which are mostly bacteria (really, we are just hundreds of billions? of bacteria on our skin, inside our digestive and other systems that keep us healthy) I believe all complex life probably also relies heavily on very high numbers of microbes
Yeah, it's not a smell that's easy to ignore. But if you want to utilize the deep litter as compost, I think adding more bedding is a better way to go, so that you don't lose the valuable fertilizer.

update on my original post
Quote: Just did a major cleaning,after 2 months, removed everything but the chickens, removed as much of the loose sand and poops,let water run through the coup, 15 min or so. let dry added more sand, not as much as before just enough to cover the hard-pack granite Less is more easier to rake and clean. Definately would not recommend for wet climates unless run is totally out of rain. When my hens start laying, Ill have nesting boxes with shavings or straw . to be continued, as I'm a new-be. GK .

we don't have a coop or anything else for our chickens. they are free range. about two weeks ago a predator got 3 of them. since then the girls sleep on top of my parrot cage on the porch. they chose it on their own, the very next day! at approx 7:30 every day they settle down for the night.
so my question is does the nesting box have to be covered, like a roof or something and are pine shavings good enough for filler.

update on my original post
Just did a major cleaning,after 2 months, removed everything but the chickens, removed as much of the loose sand and poops,let water run through the coup, 15 min or so. let dry added more sand, not as much as before just enough to cover the hard-pack granite Less is more easier to rake and clean. Definately would not recommend for wet climates unless run is totally out of rain. When my hens start laying, Ill have nesting boxes with shavings or straw . to be continued, as I'm a new-be. GK .
welcome-byc.gif
Hey Greg, glad to have you. Looking really good

we don't have a coop or anything else for our chickens. they are free range. about two weeks ago a predator got 3 of them. since then the girls sleep on top of my parrot cage on the porch. they chose it on their own, the very next day! at approx 7:30 every day they settle down for the night.
so my question is does the nesting box have to be covered, like a roof or something and are pine shavings good enough for filler.
if there are no birds living inside the parrot cage, you can just prop the door open and fill the bottom with a layer of newspaper or straw and pine shavings on top.

Back
Top Bottom