coop bedding- what do you prefer??

Before they were put in their new coop..the run is a dog run.

I have solar lights all around their run so it is lit up at night. Their coop is dark - so are you saying i should run an electrical wire in my coop and plug in a red light? My coop is way too small for anything except my 3 RIR and they are big birds (smile) only 3 1/2 months old and they are BIG!
They are beautiful RIR's...mine are growing like wildfire starting to confuse which is which now lol

I put a 60 watt equivalent florescent bulb in the heat lamp fixture,clamped just under the eve of the coup pointing away to the yard there is a little back lighting for my birds.I had 20 coyotes last night within a quarter mi howling but I almost never see them within the lit area of my out buildings.I can see the area, about 50 ft while away as I lay in my bed,was nerve racking at first. but its been 2 months, no guarantees in life! I have a welded wire and chicken wire( not in pic yet) over that in my run-coup.My neighbor had chickens in a cyclone 8x12 dog run staked to the ground, a large coyote ripped it up and massacred all.

I use sand! I love it. I tried pine shavings and straw. I never have flies in my coop. The sand dries out the poop. I keep a kitty litter scooper hanging inside the coop and once a week I scoop out all the waste and put it into a 5 gallon bucket for composting.

I put a 60 watt equivalent florescent bulb in the heat lamp fixture,clamped just under the eve of the coup pointing away to the yard there is a little back lighting for my birds.I had 20 coyotes last night within a quarter mi howling but I almost never see them within the lit area of my out buildings.I can see the area, about 50 ft while away as I lay in my bed,was nerve racking at first. but its been 2 months, no guarantees in life! I have a welded wire and chicken wire( not in pic yet) over that in my run-coup.My neighbor had chickens in a cyclone 8x12 dog run staked to the ground, a large coyote ripped it up and massacred all.
Omg..we have coyotes outside of town..one reason I keep the coop and run really clean..not to attract the predators..I have two huge owls in my area..two mating foxes..coons..skunks and possum..I have privacy fences..linked fences..and I keep them in at night with security lights out back..its like rikers island lol so I poop scoop every day..use farm 360 spray to help with smell and decompure..and DE..plus herbs..my chicks think im nuts.

Tell me again what the DE is for? And, how do you apply it?

Also, I need to improve my run so the birds have a good option for a dust bath. If I frame a 2'x2' box and use construction sand, is that sufficient?

Thank you,

Steve

Construction sand I read is good here in our area cuz its grittier and acts like ummm a helper if they should eat it to digest or pulverize their food. I use DE diamotrias (spelled wrong) earth food grade from tractor supply company to help against..lice, bug infestation in their coop and run. And it doesnt hurt them...I sprinkled in there..its like ashes. With two fly bags and that my flies are hardly there now...went like 85% with in the first day I was amazed. These wonderful ppl here told me about it in my bedding. My chickens are happier now so am I...my hubs was amazed too. Now he tells his buddies at work who have chickens about it lol. Everyone here rocks with helpfulness.

I'm another construction sand user. Have used it for over a year and love it. I use it in the coop and run. I'm in a very hot and dry part of the country. In the summer it stays nice and cool because we have it shaded. It's very easy to mix a little DE in and I've never had an issue with mites with it. I love that I can scoop it like a cat litter box with a make shift pooper scooper. 

I'm trying to decide if I should use construction sand in my run which currently has a dirt floor that gets very muddy. Do you have a roof on your run?

I'm trying to decide if I should use construction sand in my run which currently has a dirt floor that gets very muddy. Do you have a roof on your run?
we have a pitched roof that's made of 2x4s and wire mesh and 1/2 is covered by a tarp for shade but I live in the desert so we don't get much rain here and when it does it dries up very quickly.

DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth. See Wikipedia for details here:

I have read that many veterinarians say (DE) is harmful to respiratory systems… yours, mine and your chickens. I have even read that some studies show it is Carcinogenic. Many people believe that is acts as a de-wormer due to the microscopically (sharp edges). However, I have also read that (DE) is not effective in that way when moisture levels reach over 80% (like in a chickens stomach).

But, many people still use (DE) and claim to see benefits. So I would recommend that you spend some time with your friend Google, and see what you think.

(My girls have no problem with using regular dirt for their dust baths and they seem just fine)

~Nick

Back
Top Bottom