Coop Builders - What would you have changed or done differently?

Thanks! Loved looking at your FARM . . . awesome. My Dad was from Rogersville, N.B., but unfortunately I've never been there. Hope to visit the area some day . . . I'm originally from New England, so used to the cooler weather.

Thanks!  Loved looking at your FARM . . . awesome.  My Dad was from Rogersville, N.B., but unfortunately I've never been there.  Hope to visit the area some day . . . I'm originally from New England, so used to the cooler weather.
That's not far away at all :)

We are having such a mild fall. I can't believe we are hitting 20 every day. Can't complain!

It's been 6 months since I started this thread and we're now finalizing plans on our "bigger and better" coop. Thought I'd come back to this thread to refresh my memory and so glad I did. So many wonderful ideas and suggestions. THANKS!

The past 6 months have given us an opportunity to observe the girls to see what's important to them, too. We've decided on a shaded location at the edge of our woods as they seem to suffer more with the heat than with the cold. At least part of the run will be covered as the girls aren't fans of rain and HATE the snow. I've noticed rain blowing into the coop via the pop doors so will try to figure out some type of awning/overhang to prevent that.

DH has also spent the past 6 months collecting windows from construction jobs so there will be plenty of light. We've scrounged tin roofing and a roof exhaust fan, too. You can accumulate a lot in 6 months if you know you're planning on doing something with it.

Should be getting chicks within the next two weeks so it's time to get busy. Looking forward to Spring!

How large are the holes in your welded wire? We have problems with weasels, which can get through a 1" square hole. You'd never believe it to look at them, but it's nasty when they then try to pull the chicken back out through that same 1" hole. That's why we use the hardware cloth with the 1/2" holes.

I use 2 x 4 no climb with 1/2 poultry wire over it pretty firmly attached. seems to work good. have not had any issues yet anyways
I didn't know you could get 1/2 chicken wire, haven't seen it locally. Shipping would probably put it up even with or over the cost of the 1/2 hardware cloth I can get locally...plus I think the HC is tighter than the CW.

Great thread, hadn't seen this one yet.

Hysterical!!! I am a few weeks away from that same problem. Between the rain and the 3yo, I just can't get ahead. I now have 3 6week old ladies, 3 4 week old ladies and 3 3 week old's. Hoping this is the weekend, but may be yet another week. Have them in the spare (empty) bedroom.

I have a question..hopefully I can relay it clearly..lol. I am configuring my coop because we are getting ready to build soon. I'd like a window on every side- if I can afford it. Is there a side that benefits more from a window? I see some people talk about needing windows on certain sides (think I saw that the South side NEEDED a window). I want good ventilation minus drafts (somehow. Not sure how to vent safely for winter yet
tongue.png
) because we live in Mass and our weather is extreme in all seasons. Summers are atleast 90* and winters are freezing cold. All windows would be able to open and have harware cloth for safety. I am contemplating using plexy-glass and turning that into windows. Do lots of windows help the chickens in any way (light for laying or warmth) or am I just showing the woodland critters what's for dinner if they can get in? Also, do any of you have an exhaust fan (installed) or use a box fan in a window? I'm concerned with how hot they'll get this summer and would like to implement one of those. Just want to pick the best route. Don't want to go broke over an exhaust fan, but would it be safer for the chickens?
Sorry if I sound sctter brained, I'm just really freaking out over keeping them safe. Our yard isthe woods and I just can't deal with a slaughter.

mtnlaurl, I remember your coop!
smile.png
How did the "chicken highway" work out?

We live in Central Ontario - so cold in winter, hot in summer. Our insulated coop has a biggish window facing west and one east with ventilation openings in the peaks. My husband made the windows, ie framing plexigass squares in with hardware cloth permanenty installed inside. The windows open, like casement windows. For extra insulation in winter we have removeable plexiglass inserts we install to prevent drafts. The ventilation ports also have hardware cloth and covers that can be adjusted for temperature - I left them partly open in every temp in winter except the -30 C nights. We live in the woods too so there is lots of shade and heat wasn't a problem last summer.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom