Coop building plans, seeking critique and advice

ValerieJ

On the other side
7 Years
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
Here is the plan so far. The ventilation is in the dormer, 1' x 10', plus 4" x 10' where the roof meets the siding on both the front and back, for a total of 16sf+. Will that be enough? Should we put some openings on the sides too? The windows on the front and back are for letting sun in. Haven't decided if we want windows that can open, or just glazing there.

Also, I know the higher roost is too high.

In addition to the nesting boxes shown I want one brooding nest box that is filled with sand and then straw on top of that. That one isn't in the drawing yet.

Not sure these pictures show it well enough. Wish I could include the interactive file, but then you'd need the program.
coop.jpg
Coop2.jpg
Coop3.jpg
Coop4.jpg

Attachments

• Coop5(1).jpg
    Coop5(1).jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Coop5.jpg
    Coop5.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I think you’ll have enough ventilation, but if you’re worried I would put in windows that can open. Otherwise, it seems pretty neat, it’s just missing the doorknob ;)
:lau I don't think he has gotten to hardware yet. Thanks for your input! Opening windows is fine, but they are at roost level. How about additional vents on the two sides of the coop, like triangular at the top?

:lau I don't think he has gotten to hardware yet. Thanks for your input! Opening windows is fine, but they are at roost level. How about additional vents on the two sides of the coop, like triangular at the top?

I’m going on the assumption that the big door will remain shut, so I would have these two triangular vents (blue) so there’s always some flow from one end to the other, but above all the roosts. With the ventilation already planned, and the (possible) windows, I’d say there’s enough ventilation, but you can never go wrong making sure. If you add more vents, you should have them placed in such a way that they can be blocked off, in case it’s an extra windy night and the coop seems a little drafty.
upload_2019-11-18_11-30-13.png

I’m going on the assumption that the big door will remain shut, so I would have these two triangular vents (blue) so there’s always some flow from one end to the other, but above all the roosts. With the ventilation already planned, and the (possible) windows, I’d say there’s enough ventilation, but you can never go wrong making sure. If you add more vents, you should have them placed in such a way that they can be blocked off, in case it’s an extra windy night and the coop seems a little drafty. View attachment 1961635
Thanks for the advice. I agree the extra vents will be good. The only vent that is not baffled is the dormer, but it is on the down wind side of the coop. Should we consider baffling that one too?

Thanks for the advice. I agree the extra vents will be good. The only vent that is not baffled is the dormer, but it is on the down wind side of the coop. Should we consider baffling that one too?

I wouldn’t worry about having a permanent covering for it, just keep extra towels on hand in case if it needs to be blocked off temporarily for rain or wind.

Back
Top Bottom