Coop Cam

I love this topic!
I have a question for the chicken geeks out there. I use an AyrMesh hub that carries the signal from my router out 1/2 mi. The hub has its own set of IP addresses - 101.255.27.xx. So I can't live stream directly to the Internet. There ought to be a way I can stream from the feed to the computer. So the feed comes into the house on the 101.xx ip and another computer picks up the feed from the 1st computer and sends out thru the router connected to the Internet. Any super geeks out there that can help me out???

I'm no super geek, not familiar with AirMesh, but I'd say the principle is the same as with an access point. You should be able to access your cameras from the Internet.

You have to do some config on your router, besides on the cameras and possibly on the airmesh. The ip address for the airmesh should be static, the cameras also should have static ip addresses instead of having it assigned by the router. Then you have to assign ports to the cameras, and open these ports on the router, so your router will allow you to access these ports ( your cameras) via the Internet. If you can view the camera feeds ( I'm taking IP cameras) from your home computer, you can view them from anywhere you can log in the Internet. Even from an iPhone or iPad or android device.

You will also have to get a dns address (for free) so instead of trying to access your router's ip address, which is probably not static, you reference it via dns.

I'd say there's an hour setup involved to get this to work...

Hey gale65. What router do you have and what are the distances? Some routers can go 300ft line of sight or more. There are a lot of variables involved. Router, ip cam, antenna, etc. but it can be done.

The metal building will interfere with the router's signal. Ideally, you should try to get the router to be on the line of sight with the cameras or at least in line of sight with the range extender. In your case, I'd probably try to install a range extender inside the building, or an outdoor access point outside it.

My gut feeling is that a range extender (70 bucks) will solve your problem.

Quote:
My router is a Netgear WRG614 v9. It's probably 2 or 3 yrs old, at least. I don't have a very fast connection anyway (maybe .5 mbps on a good day) but it is fairly reliable. There's electricity in the big shed and also in the small shed but not really anywhere in between. The light pole does have power but it's hooked up to our fuel tanks so dh keeps it off unless he's pumping fuel (to keep people from stealing it, I guess). Can I get a range extender at Staples?

To add to GoChick's comment, the term is called "Port Forwarding". The assigns the port [you gave your cameras] of your [the 101 subnet] local IP address to your outside IP address. --jim

Thank you all for responding. I know this problem can be solved. Let me explain it better.
Cisco Router in the house has an assigned IP address for the AyrMesh Hub. Hub sends Internet signal out 1/2 mile. Love that. So Cisco has assigned hub 192.168.1.102

Hub has own network set. It assigns itself 101.255.27.1. It's now a gateway. On the hub are 2 Foscam cameras, computers, iPhones, Wii - all assigned by the hub 101.255.27.xx ips. Both cameras have ports. Coop cam is port:8090. Field cam is 8091. Each camera can be viewed thru browsers (and thru phone apps) on AyrMesh network. Switch to the Cisco network and nothing. There is no way to configure the hub. It assigns and no way to port forward. Coop cam has a dyn.dns setting. If you use that setting in your browser you get my cisco admin panel.

So a computer in the house on the AyrMesh network can see all devices. A computer setting next to it on the Cisco network can't see the cams only sees the hub but the hub makes itself a gateway. Problem is how to get cam feed from AyrMesh network into computer beside it to be encoded and pushed to Internet. I can't port forward the gateway hub - multiple devices are on the hub. Even with only 1 cam on the hub, port forwarding does not work. I can use a cable to plug the computer to the tv and see the coop. The leap is how to plug the computer into another computer on the Cisco network and pick that feed up for uploading.

Maybe if I draw a picture.... I know I'm not always clear.

Quote:
Very clear and understood before. You must port forward the device [camera] location [called a port to your outside IP address. This is a setting you make in your router. The one you referred to as your gateway. Log into it and look for NAT or such term. In some routers, that may be in the advanced section. I hope this helps. --jim

Back
Top Bottom