Coop Design Help for 5 Chickens

Give yourself more access to
The run

I think they meant YOU will need more access to the run, not that your birds would need more run space. If you can get into the run from the top though, that might be plenty of access. I was imagining a full height walk in run that had access only from a side door.

Nix the light. They don't need a midnight snack. Plus a light at night can cause behavior problems. You may decide having a light is handy for when you want to clean the coop though. Just don't leave it on at night.

Put an automatic pop hole door! I used the D20, best $90 I ever spent!

I was planning on something like that. If you notice the roof slant, it actually faces south and I am going to put a solar panel on it and store the battery in the area marked storage. This would be perfect!

with that size spot, I'd put the coop on the far end and have access through the run to get to it. Put a big enough door so you can get in the coop, and don't worry about exterior nest boxes etc.....

think of the 2 seater outhouse on grandpa's farm.......
lau.gif

only with a roost across the side wall, nesting boxes on the back wall, and the front wall would have the access doors, the pop door for the girls to get out into the run and the human sized door. Or you could just leave the human size door open during the day and go close it at night. Fix some frame work to put hardware cloth across the top for protection, and built a fence with access across the end.........

with that size spot, I'd put the coop on the far end and have access through the run to get to it. Put a big enough door so you can get in the coop, and don't worry about exterior nest boxes etc.....

think of the 2 seater outhouse on grandpa's farm....... :lau

only with a roost across the side wall, nesting boxes on the back wall, and the front wall would have the access doors, the pop door for the girls to get out into the run and the human sized door. Or you could just leave the human size door open during the day and go close it at night. Fix some frame work to put hardware cloth across the top for protection, and built a fence with access across the end......... 

Excellent advice!!

It seems your backyard too small for the chicken. I am not recommend keeping the chicken close to the house and near the neighbors at all because of the smell and noise.

I would love to switch it the other way around, but there is one major flaw in the whole plan. The Wife! LOL

The deal was I do all the work, she collects the eggs and doesn't have to walk across any poo or stuff...

To answer Speedy2020, the smell won't be an issue because there was some serious funk that I cleaned ou,t from the prior owner from 6 months ago. I think his dog was always back there and he didn't do a good job cleaning it up, so I can't imagine with my OCD that the chickens will smell any worse. Also, I don't think most of the plans/pictures for a lot of the urban chickens on this site have a run as large 84 sq ft, plus nowhere near as secure with it being surrounded by cinderblock walls.

Also, as you notice in the cross section, on the 2nd story, I put a pull out tray with a swing-up door for easy clean out.

I ran the plans past the wife tonight and she likes em... I guess time to start breaking ground. I'll update pictures as I move forward.

Back
Top Bottom