Coop fencing

We had a couple of bad experiences in the past with the chicken wire. Raccoons would reach in and grab our chicken's heads through the holes and try to pull them through. It was gruesome. We had two beheaded chickens before we decided to make a change.

However, I think that a 1/4 inch openings on the hardware clothe are a little too small for my taste. The section we had caught cobwebs and didn't let in enough air to be considered adequate ventilation. However, that was ONLY one section. The rest was okay and did the job. My preferred is 1/2 in. hardware clothe.

We had a couple of bad experiences in the past with the chicken wire. Raccoons would reach in and grab our chicken's heads through the holes and try to pull them through. It was gruesome. We had two beheaded chickens before we decided to make a change.

However, I think that a 1/4 inch openings on the hardware clothe are a little too small for my taste. The section we had caught cobwebs and didn't let in enough air to be considered adequate ventilation. However, that was ONLY one section. The rest was okay and did the job. My preferred is 1/2 in. hardware clothe.
Do you remember what gauge it was?

Second that. 1/2" is the way to go.

how old were the chickens and how big

As a rule of thumb, chicken wire (the hexagonal shaped wire) is for keeping chickens in, not for keeping chicken eating critters out... so it works for a day time run where the chickens are secured in a coop at night, but not where it serves as a line of defense against hungry chicken eaters at night.

Back
Top Bottom