Coop Floor and Other design options

thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Yes, up the walls would certainly help as well. I had the builder enclose as much of the inside 2 X 4 framing so that the chickens couldn't poop on them and then me have to scrub and scrub to clean it off.

You 'Could' go up the walls, but I wouldn't. The Blackjack is a great floor protector, but it's u.g.l.y. and looks best under a layer of shavings, or sand. I painted the inside, walls and ceiling, of my coop white. It really helps reflect light, and brightens up the interior. And it makes it a lot easier to see anything, that should not be in there, like bugs or spiders.

The Elasmoteric black jack does come in white. Is the Home Depot white the same stuff? And not to hijack this thread...has anyone ever used this on their coop roof??

Forgot to add: I too almost used the Home Depot white but then saw that Lowe's carries the white blackjack 57.

Forgot to add: I too almost used the Home Depot white but then saw that Lowe's carries the white blackjack 57.
I was hesitant about using the white products at all after the recommendation for the BlackJack 57. There are so many products out on the market that have varied uses and applications and I researched the review about the problems, etc. I used the BlackJack 57 on my coop floor. Since I have a shingled roof on my coop and run, I did not need it there. We also used the BJ 57 on a metal carport roof to repair a small seam leak and it worked beautifully.

Lol. I didn't check the reviews which is very odd for me to not do! When I saw the white bj57 I went for it. So we shall see. I did it in the coop *and* on the roof! my coop height is 3.5' and the plywood 1/2" thick. Roofing nails would come right through it and leave exposed nails. I didn't want myself or my hens puncturing themselves.
How can that be avoided? Is the HD stuff the same? I agrree there are so many products to use! But are they a good grade??

Lol. I didn't check the reviews which is very odd for me to not do! When I saw the white bj57 I went for it. So we shall see. I did it in the coop *and* on the roof! my coop height is 3.5' and the plywood 1/2" thick. Roofing nails would come right through it and leave exposed nails. I didn't want myself or my hens puncturing themselves.
How can that be avoided? Is the HD stuff the same? I agrree there are so many products to use! But are they a good grade??
The guy that finished my coop for me used long nails for the shingles on my coop and run so after I painted the inside/underneath, I added chicken wire to the 'ceilings' to keep them from flying up and injuring themselves and it also provided additional air flow through the coop. A lot of extra work but keeps them injury free. As you can see from my coop and run pics, I had room to work with to achieve this.

I originally tried ordering mine from Lowe's but what was shipped was NOT the same stuff so I returned it and went with the Home Depot stuff. I have zero issues with it.I swept out my coop earlier this fall and the floor was spotless, even where we had a water leak issue. It's not as thick as Blackjack57 but it was after 2 coats.

hu.gif
My coop is a shed with a shingled roof so no need for use up there for me.

Back
Top Bottom