COOP HEATERS

A wise old friend of my husbands told us this when asking him about getting a "heater" for our chicken coop.

"When I was kid on the farm, we had 1000 layers in a 30 X 50 2 story building thats 3 sq ft per chicken. If your brooder light has a 100 watt bulb it will give 312 BTU's
adjust the height to give a thermometer laying on the floor to read 50 deg directly under the light should be fine.

In mild weather your bulb doesn't need to be a 100 watt.
You don't need to heat all the room. The chickens will move in or away from heat as they feel, too hot they'll move out, cold they move under it more. Now realize as it gets colder you need to lower the hood.

100 watts = a penny an hour or a quarter a day. 2 or 3 eggs worth."

Future chix man, sorry wasn't trying to upset you! I just saw the 300 chicks and felt that was for a real chicken farm, not my 5 backyard chickens. As I have my girls at the wrong time of the year, I'm still thinking I need to give a bit more heat than a light bulb, especially since it shouldn't be on during the night. I do thank you for the amazon site, and like that price A LOT better!

Oops - I ordered the $48 one from shop the coop. The one that goes on the ground, not on the wall.

Then I thought of the bricks!

I was trying to get away from having a light cuz I didn't want the chickens to get up so early in the morning. With the red heat lamp, they're up pretty early and the two horny roos are really pestering the poor hens. I would rather have a heater and have it dark in there!! My poor hens are looking a bit scruffy! And I sure didn't want to spend $100 on a heater.

I posted ebay an amazon links where you can get a heater very similar to the one on shopthecoop for half the price. also the CHE's don't emit any light and they're under $20.

Quote:
I guess I'll have to try to get consumer reports to pay me $30 to write a review of that heater I just bought.
barnie.gif

I just started using the flat panel heater in my coop tonight -- along with the thermostatically controlled outlet. It should power on in about an hour (temp needs to drop a few more degrees). I also bought the small ceramic tile heater that can go under the litter. I'm saving that one for the smaller coop.

I do like the price of the flat panel listed on eBay. I may have to buy that just in case I need to heat the area around the brooders when they get set up.

Back
Top Bottom