COOP HEATERS

Glad to hear it. My mother just emailed me that she bought one for my chickens (the $98 one from Shop The Coop
roll.png
) for Xmas. She feels bad for them outside in the barn.

Don't ask me why she feels bad for them, she'd feel bad for them if they were hand-fed organic polenta from silver forks and crystal dishes, and had carved rosewood nest boxes lined with artsy quilts and Tiffany lamps hanging from the ceiling. As it is they have plenty of Blue Seal layer pellets, scratch, veggies and human-food leftovers, clean water, fresh straw weekly and fresh pine shavings twice a month. She considers this not half enough. I tried explaining that they think a whole head of lettuce is the best treat ever, and if she wants to treat them she can do it for $1 at the grocery store, no dice.

I'm still awaiting my delivery, but I have a question.

Do the chickens peck at the cord? If so, how do you hide it from them?

I haven't put anything electrical near my birds, so I'm just not sure how it's done!

My birds are all just in the coop at night without any heat at all. Its a pain in the butt having to go out and refill their water 3 times daily because of the freeze but with the ducks who like to throw the water everywhere and tip the darn water containers ( 5gallon steel) over I am worried about putting heated bases inside the coop. So far everyone seems to be fine and egg production continues at about 6-7/day out of the 17 potential layers. ( several have yet to lay their first egg) I still have the 4 weekers inside the brooder and the 7-8 weekers are in the baby 4x8foot coop with a 250W heat lamp 18 inches above the shavings. They all seem fine and really never crowd under the light. (I have a window that I can peek into!)

I put my extension cord up on the rafters. The cord goes in on top of the door right to the rafters, so it's out of the way. When we get the heater, hope to be able to do the same thing. It will be nice not to worry about the water freezing! Krisrose drilled a hole in the ....what's that called... the overhang of her roof and put the cord in that way! Just look at your coop and find the best way to put the cord. If you have to run it down a wall, they have those wire covers you can use. Hope I helped!

Right now i'm using a 250 watt infrared bulb in my coop my chicks are only 6 weeks old (and 2 8 weekers) its pretty cold here, hovering around 15 degrees day and night, between the bulb and the chickens the coop seems to stay at about 50 degrees, it seems warm enough for them I did make the space smaller by putting up a board so I shrunk it down to 4x8 for the 12 of them.

I need my brooder light back from the coop next week for my next hatch and am wondering what I should replace it with i'm going to have to check the links out on ebay...

Flat panel heater arrived today from Amazon, husband put it in to see what it does, haven't got a thermostat for it yet...WOW my chickens might get out of the basement this week!!!!

Mine was shipped Friday....so any day now. Can't wait. Let me know how you like it, ok?
yippiechickie.gif
Your chickens will be glad to get out of the basement.

Back
Top Bottom