Coop Heating Methods

It's MUCH safer than a heat lamp... all in all, the product is much more suited to unattended heating.

I got the 11"x16". Here are some pictures for others...

and... the damage...

It's MUCH safer than a heat lamp... all in all, the product is much more suited to unattended heating.
It really is, I have a nice heat lamp I got from Premier 1 but even having a safe heat lamp and bulb that is suppose to be one of the highest rated. Those bulbs just get so hot I have never felt comfortable using one in my coops only in my house where I don't have shavings on the floor, well sometimes I do if I bring them in on my shoes and pants.
tongue.png

I just wanted to update this review; after contacting the seller (http://www.mypetchicken.com) they were outstanding. They offered to replace the product or provide a credit to reimburse for the damage. I opted for the credit due to the fact that it operationally worked fine. The aesthetic damage was hidden on the rear of the unit and I'm almost certain the ducks don't mind.

In any event, the product appears to be working well. The burn in smell is pretty noticeable, but I'm hoping that will subside with time. I opted to use this unit in conjunction with a Thermocube by Farm Innovators.

I just wanted to update this review; after contacting the seller (http://www.mypetchicken.com) they were outstanding. They offered to replace the product or provide a credit to reimburse for the damage. I opted for the credit due to the fact that it operationally worked fine. The aesthetic damage was hidden on the rear of the unit and I'm almost certain the ducks don't mind.

In any event, the product appears to be working well. The burn in smell is pretty noticeable, but I'm hoping that will subside with time. I opted to use this unit in conjunction with a Thermocube by Farm Innovators.
That is good news they were so cooperative.. Just remember your ducks won't need heat until it is pretty cold [single digits] and if you have a well built house for them with out drafts they may not need it at all. It can be tricky offering heat then they go out in the frigid air. Heat can be good for sick or old ducks but you really have to be careful offering it healthy fully feathered ducks with down under their feathers. I know some will say ducks aren't cold hardy but they really are. Now Amiga has Runners and she says her ducks don't do well in cold temps and that may be because of their slim build and upright stance. What breeds do you have?

We have (and intentionally selected) Cayugas for their cold tolerance. They have proven to be hardy little ducks thus far. I've yet to use the heater bar testing. We opted for the ThermoCube that comes on at 0 and off at 10 degrees F. I'm guessing it won't come on too often inside. I agree with all your statements, though! Better to let them fend for themselves... if they can!

We have (and intentionally selected) Cayugas for their cold tolerance. They have proven to be hardy little ducks thus far. I've yet to use the heater bar testing. We opted for the ThermoCube that comes on at 0 and off at 10 degrees F. I'm guessing it won't come on too often inside. I agree with all your statements, though! Better to let them fend for themselves... if they can!
I think they will be fine. Mine silly things have all doors open and would rather lay down even on ice and snow tuck their heads and sleep. and they could all go inside. My main reason was to get one for my old drake. This morning it was 22 and here he comes outside with the rest. Those minuses last Feb was what worried me he doesn't molt anymore and hasn't any feathers left on his winds to amount to much.. It's hard getting old even for a duck. So I am ready for what ever comes this year.

It was very nice of them to offer a credit for what I would consider slight cosmetic damage. It won't affect the performance in any way, and the heat plate itself is supposed to be "virtually indestructible". I also have the 11x16 hanging model to go in my brooder as soon as my eggs hatch (appr. 17 days). Yes... I'm already counting my chickens. I love it because the top barely gets close to what I would consider warm. As for the burn in smell, you should let it run for several days before using it with livestock so it doesn't irritate sensitive airways. And yes, the smell will subside with time.
wink.png

What I did that helped with the smell (at least I think this is what did it) - I plugged it in for several hours in my office. Then I let it cool down totally overnight, then plugged it in, and let it cool one more cycle. Once I completed this twice, the smell is almost all gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom