Coop help

ALH66

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Missouri
Hi everyone, l have 5 almost 9 week old chicks. We finally got them in their coop and run. But each night we have to put them in the coop our selfs.
So my question is how do you train them to go in when they need to ?
I don't like putting them through the stress of trying to catch them, nor the stress on my back. Thanks for any help you can give

Are you putting them in before dark? How long have they been sleeping in the coop?
Hi everyone, l have 5 almost 9 week old chicks. We finally got them in their coop and run. But each night we have to put them in the coop our selfs.
So my question is how do you train them to go in when they need to ?
I don't like putting them through the stress of trying to catch them, nor the stress on my back. Thanks for any help you can give
Usually, it is good to keep chickens when you move them, directly in the coop for a few days so they know it is home and get used to sleeping there.

They won’t go inside until it’s dark, so if it is still light out they might need more time to go in on their own.

Mine tend to go inside, on their own, once it's very dark outside. If there's any sign of light, then they tend to remain outside and it's a hassle to round them up.

Are you putting them in before dark? How long have they been sleeping in the coop?

Usually, it is good to keep chickens when you move them, directly in the coop for a few days so they know it is home and get used to sleeping there.

They won’t go inside until it’s dark, so if it is still light out they might need more time to go in on their own.
Thanks for your reply .
They just started in this new coop this past week. We have not let it get completely dark when putting them in. So I guess this is our inexperience here🙄

A low light on the roost for a few days/week.
you have to show them how to get up and down. put treats up on the roost so they will get up on it. Pick one up and put her on the roost and feed her, The other will come up.
Ok I will try that too. Thank you

Thanks for your reply .
They just started in this new coop this past week. We have not let it get completely dark when putting them in. So I guess this is our inexperience here🙄
If they are in a run, you could give them a bit more time (& invest in a headlamp, just in case)!

If they are free-ranging, I would lock them in the coop for a few days. It would be a nightmare trying to round them up in the dark if they didn’t go in once you try waiting!

If they are in a run, you could give them a bit more time (& invest in a headlamp, just in case)!

If they are free-ranging, I would lock them in the coop for a few days. It would be a nightmare trying to round them up in the dark if they didn’t go in once you try waiting!
No free range , they have a coop and run together, but still no fun trying to catch them. We will invest in a light thank you for your advise

Check the coop around dusk and ensure there's sufficient natural light inside the coop. A lot of coops are lacking in enough natural light for birds to navigate in low light.

Assuming the coop is naturally well lit and ventilated for the number of birds, it doesn't hurt to lock them in for a week or two to help home them to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom