Coop ideas for small backyard setup.

Thanks for all of the information. The Baltimore City regulations require a coop to be moveable, so I will have to go with a tractor or something small enough to move around. I am open to moving the coop every other day to a different patch of lawn to help keep them from destroying the yard. Will they still scratch often if they have access to a scratch box? It is a lot to consider...I definitely want a coop that is easy to access and take apart for thorough cleaning. How far or high can they manage to flap if I keep a wing clipped?

Last edited:
Looking around for tractor coops as well now, found this link to the the Green Chicken Coop that has a tractor option.

http://www.greenchickencoop.com/Our_Coops.html

These things are all expensive...I was looking for locally built structures as well but it looks like if I want to buy something pre-made it is going to cost. I have four thumbs and an itchy trigger finger on each hand so I am reluctant to try and build something on my own. Putting the raised beds together for my garden is the pinnacle of my construction skills. I know my dad would probably come down to help out but that would probably end up getting out of hand and result in something massive that ends up being nicer than what we live in ourselves. I know that there is a feed store a bit further down south and I think I remember seeing a coop in there, I might check that out again.

My wife isn't happy about my idea of getting a chain link dog run with 6' walls. They are relatively cheap on Pet Smart or Pet Co...she doesn't like the thought of how ugly it would be.

I appreciate all of your inputs...please keep the data coming!

Also...any other Marylanders or Baltimore folk out there I'd like to hear from you. I want to see what you are doing, and compare notes. I am trying to push the idea of the urban homestead and it would be great to see other setups in this area.

I have a book suggestion for you, Building Chicken Coops for Dummies, available in the BYC store and quite possibly your library. It's also on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Chic...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296918997&sr=1-1-spell

and you can look inside there.

The linked A frame is probably about what you need and I doubt would be as hard to build as you think, with a little help from a book or this site.

There are lots of other ideas on here in the coops section and forum, too. It will take some time but should be well worth it. It is so much cheaper to build than buy. Some real amateurs on here have put together some lovely coops.

OP, for some really cool small and mobile coop ideas, you might check out Msbear here on the forum. She has moved to MD too, so you might be neighbors! She has plenty of experience raising chickens in smaller spaces, and she is very clever at designing some beautiful coops - -

http://designercoops.blogspot.com/

You could also send her a private message for advice. She's very helpful and super nice. She might also get you hooked on bantam breeds!
smile.png

Good luck with your project!

Hi! Well, now for my 2 cents. I own a cube with one run extention (6ft run), 3 EE pullets (32 weeks) and am currently in the process of getting DH to build me another coop. If you know you only want three hens then the coop works great (esp. since your legal limit is 4). Our legal limit is ten and I just can't resist... I'm planning on turning the Eglu into a 'training coop' for the kids eventually and maybe to house a show chicken or two for now... Need to convice DH...

Advangates of the cube-
-Super easy to clean 5-10 min a weekend of general maintenance will keep it up, add in a 'deep clean' every six months or so and you'll have a coop that is neat as a pin.
-Blends in fairly well (Green)
-2 person move (with an attached run, the flaps that keep dogs from digging in tend to get caught while rolling)
-Transporting- kinda goes with moving it around, but this is a coop you could easily take with you if you ever had to move to a new home.
-Fast and easy assembly
-Easy access all around
-Predator proof

Disadvantages
-Price
-Limited space -They say the nest box is big enough for two at a time but mine will only use it one at a time. It's a good thing Shania hasn't started laying yet or I might be having issues. Then again, we just had an egg in the run the other day so... There are some work arounds for that (installing a makeshift curtain so they're not staring at eachother, but I haven't tried that. Mine also like to sit/perch on the divider between the nest box and the regular coop area at night, resulting in great piles of poo in the nest box in the morning.
-Not 'predator proof' against two legged predators. There is no way to install any kind of lock if you needed to. If you're in a good neighborhood, not an issue. If you're somewhere where your hens might be eyeballed for a prank piece or you have the unpredictable/disrespectful neighbors from H***...

Notes:
-The ramp bars are often noted as a possible issue. My ladies got used to them after a month or so and now use them without issue. I think they're just spaced a bit far appart for smaller/younger birds to comfortably navigate.
-Gaps. Cubes will often look like they're developing a bigger gap on one side than the other. It's normal and the way they're put together it doesn't affect the girls at all (no water or breezes get in through them)

If you decide the Cube is for you, great! They are very useful and will likely endure forever so you never have to worry about rotting boards or sagging roofs. If not, they have plans for smaller chicken coops on Ebay to help keep expenses down. We got our plans(4x6) for $20 and the materials for $465. It all comes down to what really matters to you. Minimal inexpensive do-it-yourself (basic Kia Rio) or the all-done-for-you-lay-back-and-chill (Mercedes Benz).

I did a thread on my Cube, if you want to look around it a bit...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386522

Good luck deciding!

Another tip that works better for small city yards than farms (think most farm coops are farther out than you want your compost) that I lucked upon is to locate my coop directly next to my compost. No wheelbarrows or buckets required, I just open the door (should have made whole side open and think I will in the spring) and sweep everything into the compost!

Since it has to be mobile, that makes it harder. I'm guessing it having to be mobile does not mean you have to actually move it, but it sure makes it harder to manage the poop if you don't move it regularly, especially if it sets in wet weather. The only comment I'll make about that is the larger diameter the wheels, the easier it is to move it on grass. Normally putting two wheels on the back and picking up the front works real well. Just make sure the heavy stuff, like the coop, is on the wheel end.

It is pretty obvious you are concerned about the chickens flying out of your back yard. I cannot give you a real good answer on that. Heavier chickens do not fly as well as smaller breeds or younger chickens before they get big. Clipping a wing does help, but it is not a cure-all. Can a chicken get out of your back yard, whether a wing is clipped or not. Yes they can if they are so motivated. It is amazing how high they can get by flapping, crawling, jumping, and just willing themselves over a fence if they so desire. What causes this type of motivation? Getting away from a predator or perceived predator or dangerous situation. It does not have to be something actually dangerous. If I go out with a feed bucket in my hand, they crowd around. If I carry a tiny little camera, they run away. If I have a shovel or rake in my hand, they really get excited. If they do fly out, they normally do not know enough to fly back in. They are affectionately known as bird brains for a reason. It's not so much that they are dumb, they just think differently than we do.

The type of fence you have makes a difference too. Chickens will often fly to the top of a fence to perch if there is something up there they can land on, a top railing or something that looks solid. They will not fly up to the top of wire fencing but they will often fly up to perch on a post. And when they get up there, who knows which side they may fly down?

Some chickens just like to roam. Most seem to stay fairly close to their coop and run, but some just seem to have the urge to see far lands. Many people keep chickens in their back yard with 5' or 6' fences and never seem to have a problem with them leaving, whether they have a top railing or not. Some have problems. I cannot predict what you will experience.

I second the idea that a 3' fence will not keep them out of your garden. They love many of the plants you grow and absolutely love to scratch in mulch and fresh turned earth. I think youi will need a higher garden fence.

I don't know if this helps you or not. Many people are successful in keeping chickens in their back yard fences. Some are not.

I suppose I am concerned about them running amok through the neighborhood. Most of the neighbors have dogs and some have cats, so I think I need to think about the 6' dog run idea maybe. I know the Eglu folks sell some chicken mesh and poles, have any of you set up easy to move portable runs you can let your birds run aroudn in? I also have a swimming pool in the backyard, not sure how chickens would do if they managed to flap up and then fall into the pool. I want to balance their need to roam around and exercise with my need to keep them safe in my yard and healthy.

Just my opinion, but I would not trust an Egloo in winter. Today we have 40 mph winds here in TN . . . and we all know what the temps have been in the east this winter. Just a thought.

smile.png

So how did things go with setting up your city coop? We too are in Baltimore city and finally got all our chickens in a row..so to speak. I passed the City inspections, got my State permit and have 2 6 -month old Black Orps killing my backyard grass as we speak. No eggs yet. I ended up buying the Clubhouse coop and modifying it to be mobile and to keep predators out (fox dens behind us in the woods). We did not have time to build one this year. We also have a fenced yard (4 foot post/rail) and that keeps the hens in.
Also found a "chicken sitter" -what a coup! Not an easy task. So now can go away periodically without worrying.
Just curious how other Baltimore city BYC folks are doing.

Back
Top Bottom