Coop in progress

redheadedhens

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
San Diego, CA
We're still debating dividing the coop in half and using half for storage (feed, bedding, etc) since we only have a small flock of 5. Wish the run could have been a little bigger, but it should meet their needs.

The hardware mesh is installed now, so they go out for the day then return to their temporary enclosure at night. Still have to put the finishing touches inside. The project that never ends....

My coop is under construction while the girls are still little (2-3 weeks). I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

4'x4' coop (dustbath/shelter underneath), plus 4'x12' run

To do: finish framing run, add roof, install screen door and hardware cloth, add roost bars/poop trays. Then it's ready for move-in! Maybe 2 more weekend of work...It's been both satisfying and frustrating to do it all on my own, but I'm proud of it!

Last edited:
We're still debating dividing the coop in half and using half for storage (feed, bedding, etc) since we only have a small flock of 5.
It's really, really nice to have supplies storage separate from the coop area.
That's a pretty small run, unless you free range most the time.

Might be a lighting issue as well...see this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1137648/can-chickens-become-afraid-fo-the-dark

Looks like there's one small window from your coop picture, and it might be darker inside the coop when it's time for them to go to bed. Had the same issue with my new girls until I installed the light (see post #4 in the link above). Now they go right in and no more issues.

Thanks, that's a good point. There is a second window opposite of what you can see in the picture, but significantly darker inside when they are ready to settle in and roost for the night. Might be worth a little experimentation. Thanks again.

Having the storage in the shed was the best idea. I can't imagine having to lug that stuff or there every time I have to clean the coop/run. Certainly wish the run was bigger, but we make a point to make sure they get out daily to roam the yard and eat my roses :rolleyes:

We've discussed extending the run and likely will do so, just want to make sure it's still easy enough access for cleaning.

Having the storage in the shed was the best idea. I can't imagine having to lug that stuff or there every time I have to clean the coop/run. Certainly wish the run was bigger, but we make a point to make sure they get out daily to roam the yard and eat my roses
roll.png

We've discussed extending the run and likely will do so, just want to make sure it's still easy enough access for cleaning.

I think you have done a fantastic job and starting smaller with the plan to possibly expand is perfect!

One suggestion:
Trade the plastic feed cans for a metal locking lid can. They are a little more expensive but it will prevent a rodent from chewing a hole in the bottom and creating a huge head ache in the long run... it will also keep other unwanted guest out... once a wild animal gets a taste of that high protein food they will just keep coming back more determined than ever.
thumbsup.gif

Look nice
. This is my in close chicken yard and coop area they seem to like leaf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom