Those soffits look really small from the outside and I'm not seeing any light coming thru on the inside pic?
Yes, the are pretty small. They're only about two inches wide. I'm still looking for a solution on how to venilate more, given how small my soffits are. My carpenter also put insulation on the inside of the roof, but fortunately, it was just foam board, and I've taken it down.

I've read that I can't do gable vents on a coop with soffit and ridge vents, because they counteract each other. I'm thinking of installing a barn-rated exhaust fan on the back side of the coop to blow some air/moisture out, but I'm not sure. I'm really in a pickle here on how to add more ventilation. My coop is about 56 square feet, but I only have about 3 square feet of ventilation at the moment. Any advice?

So you would recommend that I add gable vents?
Couldn't hurt, you'll need the kind with louvers due to the almost nonexistent roof overhang. I'd put them on both gables.

I was thinking of cutting the first ~4 inches or so off of the side walls and covering them with hardware cloth.
Under the eaves, to increase the soffit ventilation?

This is the trellis that I've bought for the side of my coop today! I'm thinking of planting morning glories on it next year.
PXL_20231030_175049356.jpg

I'm thinking of planting morning glories on it next year.

I am not totally certain, but somehow recall Morning Glory plants being toxic to chickens. I could be mistaken so research it some more. There are other beautiful climbing plants that you can substitute with.

I am not totally certain, but somehow recall Morning Glory plants being toxic to chickens. I could be mistaken so research it some more. There are other beautiful climbing plants that you can substitute with.
That's my recollection too.

Maybe honeysuckle would be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom