Coop Litter: Novice to all of it

Thank you! I didn't think of using rain runoff to kind of naturally help clean and work the run cover. Don't have to worry about a frozen rain barrel here...mosquitos are a different question...
My barrel is theoretically sealed so the water goes from the down pipe into the barrel. In practice it isn't really mosquito proof. I sometimes take the down pipe out and put in one of those mosquito dunks and sometimes I just curse them and let them be. I have noticed that it only really gets mosquitoes during long dry spells - because I guess the mosquito larvae don't do well with turbulent water which this must be when it rains.

My barrel is theoretically sealed so the water goes from the down pipe into the barrel. In practice it isn't really mosquito proof. I sometimes take the down pipe out and put in one of those mosquito dunks and sometimes I just curse them and let them be. I have noticed that it only really gets mosquitoes during long dry spells - because I guess the mosquito larvae don't do well with turbulent water which this must be when it rains.

My experience is identical to this. I have several rain catches - mostly into 275 gal totes.

So relatedly, will mosquito larvae hurt chickens? Should I treat rainwater drinking barrel with anything?
Nope.

The worst part about mosquito larvae is that they eventually become mosquitoes, and mosquitoes can carry fowl pox from flock to flock. Depending upon your trusted information source, a mosquito will range approx 800 ft to maybe 1/2 mile - so if your neighbors are close, and have a flock, their problems can become your problems.

Of course, the little F(ly)'rs can also carry fowl pox from certain wild birds to your flock, so your neighbors aren't necessarily to blame.

Nope.

The worst part about mosquito larvae is that they eventually become mosquitoes, and mosquitoes can carry fowl pox from flock to flock. Depending upon your trusted information source, a mosquito will range approx 800 ft to maybe 1/2 mile - so if your neighbors are close, and have a flock, their problems can become your problems.

Of course, the little F(ly)'rs can also carry fowl pox from certain wild birds to your flock, so your neighbors aren't necessarily to blame.
Is there a preventative for fowl pox?

Is there a preventative for fowl pox?

Nope. Well, there is, but its like your annual flu shot - it doesn't prevent all varieties, its not 100% effective. Because (dry) fowl pox generally isn't fatal, and (wet) fowl pox is rare (and again, the vaccines are VERY much hit/miss), most keepers choose not to vaccinate and provide paliative care as the birds naturally recover, and then have some measure of immunity the rest of their lives (aganst that strain, and closely related variants).

Nope. Well, there is, but its like your annual flu shot - it doesn't prevent all varieties, its not 100% effective. Because (dry) fowl pox generally isn't fatal, and (wet) fowl pox is rare (and again, the vaccines are VERY much hit/miss), most keepers choose not to vaccinate and provide paliative care as the birds naturally recover, and then have some measure of immunity the rest of their lives (aganst that strain, and closely related variants).
Expertise abounds @ BYC! TY!

Hi! I got so much great feedback on my coop design, here's my next question. I've read pros and cons on all the litter methods but am green as a gourd when it comes to hands on! I would like low odor low maintenance. (Wouldn't we all?) I've read that something called "river gravel" I think.. is very good. You just rake it out every day like cat litter in a way. It's smallish but not so small they'll eat it (I think). And not big either. I've read it can be hard to find. Perhaps at a landscape supply store. I live in central coastal Florida. And I plan to have 3 silkies and 3 smallish normal laying hens, if that matters. Has anyone tried this method? If so, what's it like? Thanks!
Congrats on your silkies! I keep silkies and they are sweethearts.

I really love hemp for coop bedding. It costs more up front, but it is easy to sift through (like cleaning a litter box), and I've ended up using less bedding overall. Also, it is much better than the pine shavings for controlling odor. Once the hemp got wet when a waterer in the coop leaked out onto the coop floor. Then it had a smell, but a leaky waterer doesn't usually happen. I have no problems with odor anymore.

I haven't heard of using river gravel and I wonder if the soft part of their feet would hold up to it or if they would end up with bumble foot. Just a thought. Also, as you probably know, what works for you would be unique depending on your climate and coop conditions.

Congrats on your silkies! I keep silkies and they are sweethearts.

I really love hemp for coop bedding. It costs more up front, but it is easy to sift through (like cleaning a litter box), and I've ended up using less bedding overall. Also, it is much better than the pine shavings for controlling odor. Once the hemp got wet when a waterer in the coop leaked out onto the coop floor. Then it had a smell, but a leaky waterer doesn't usually happen. I have no problems with odor anymore.

I haven't heard of using river gravel and I wonder if the soft part of their feet would hold up to it or if they would end up with bumble foot. Just a thought. Also, as you probably know, what works for you would be unique depending on your climate and coop conditions.
TY for the feedback. I got a pretty overwhelming NO on the peagravel as litter. Which I found interesting because I had read so many articles saying it's the best. But the experts are obviously here at BYC, so I'm gonna go with a different approach.

Gravel and chicken poop are not a good combination.

You can use GRANULAR Sweet PDZ in poop board to scoop and that will go a very long way to keeping the coop clean.

Anything organic in the run that will break down with the poop load is a good choice.

@U_Stormcrow is in FL and can offer good advice for run litter available there.
Sweet PDZ for sure. It smells nice and controls the order. Someone recommended a reptile scooper https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-sta...Teyrx9Qmbz7iauG4o4Mw_Ko_RuD2WkYUaArjpEALw_wcB and it makes it very easy.

Back
Top Bottom