Coop Names and Signs

We really didn't name the coop, but we named the whole operation Half Moon Ranch which has sort of been an inside joke for years that we adapted to keeping chickens.
I do graphic design and sign fabrication for a living, so that part came easy.
It's the chicken part that was a challenge but we love it.

Thought it would be fun to hear everyones' names for their coops, and see any cool signage to go along with it. Here's the sign that hangs on our door, a tribute to our 8 girls.

Mine has a sign lol it says " the chicken ranch" got it off old movie called best little whore house in Texas! Haha

My coop/coops have a history.
I started raising pigeons in the summer of 2007. I saw an add on Kijiji Winnipeg and went for a ride on my motorcycle to "have a look" at some Kazan Tumblers and Capuchines just barely north of the city. After an hour of observing and $80.00 later I tied a cardboard box onto my rack and brought home a pair of Kazan Tumblers and a pair of Capuchines. By the time the local pigeon club's annual show came around in the beginning of December I had 4 Kazan young and 3 Cap young to enter.
I got 3rd in Kazan and Reserve Champion(glorified 2nd) in Cap. :eek:

1 of the club's senior members stated that he'd been raising birds for 16years and never got Reserve Champion and along comes this "newbie from the sticks and cleans up at his first showing!".
I told him that it didn't matter which show, which city town or settlement, which year, which category and/or which breed, I will always be The Reserve Champion.
With a bit of a confused but rather stern look(his physical stature makes me look like a little boy) he asked how in the world I figured that, I responded with" Look around Buddy. I'm the only guy here from an Indian RESERVEation.", and continued with my meek polite little smiles hole I respectfully looked UP at him. Everybody got tense for a second or 2 till Buddy just about busted a gut :lau

I have WELL over a hundred pigeons of 9 breeds in 6 different winter coops right now. When breeding season comes each breed gets their own coop.
I have geese, ducks, turkeys and chickens as well.
I hope to expand to Eastern, RioGrande, Osceola, Merriams, Goulds and Ocellated Turkeys, Red & Yellow Golden Pheasants, Impeyan Pheasant, Melanistc Pheasant, Silver Pheasant and White & Pied Peafowl in the not too distant future. Every breed will have their own area of breed specific runs.
Of course the entire "birdiery"(my own word shortened from birdie aviary) will be called as the original....
Reserve ChampionLofts

My proposed sign will be on 4X8ft fir plywood........a melee of birds flying, sitting, running, walking, strutting, etc painted over a veritable photo of the landscape around my house.
Just now it is only a small peice of plywood at my gate with my "DOG SLED XING" signs.

We hung our other coop signs today and I love it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom