Coop pics****

So this is my coop and run as of right now. I only have 4 chickens since I live in the city.
Any advice on further set up and bedding from the experts?
smile.png

I'm not an expert - I'm just getting my first chickens tomorrow (yay!) - but I've spent quite a bit of time on BYC. The first question I have is where is the ventilation for your coop? It looks completely closed up.

We know our run is huge, but they love it.

That run is huge, I bet they do enjoy having that space!! Wish I had the space for something like that!

I'm not an expert - I'm just getting my first chickens tomorrow (yay!) - but I've spent quite a bit of time on BYC. The first question I have is where is the ventilation for your coop? It looks completely closed up. 
There is a screen on the top front that can be opened and closed to keep out rain. It is closed at the moment since no chickens are living in it.

Well we built our coop in January to hold 6 hens, 3 egg boxes, and a run under the coop that was 32 sq ft. We free range our chickens and built a run so incase we have somewhere to go overnight. Well... a couse in chicken algebra later, because chicken math on equals a few extra, we have 20 hens and a rooster, plus we have five new chicks from a natural hatch Saturday. Well I digress. Below is our coop, coop add ons, chicken jail, maternity ward, and rain barrell watering systems we have added since we first got chickens in January.

Initial six hen coop.

Now the coop is three times the size, with power (heat lamp on one side, a fan on the other), 55 gallon rain barrel watering system, a chicken jail (quarentine), and a newly built maternity wing to keep the hen and chicks on the ground floor with food and water.

In the process of building a run for my 4 Rhode Island Reds. I have a small coop and I will basically just place it inside of this when it's done. For the past 2 months, they have been free ranging, but I found out that chickens like to destroy the yard, as you can see the grass disappearing in the pic :) They will spend most of the day in here now, and then when I get home from work I will let them out for a couple hours in the evening. This is 16x8 and made from 2x3's.

Well we built our coop in January to hold 6 hens, 3 egg boxes, and a run under the coop that was 32 sq ft. We free range our chickens and built a run so incase we have somewhere to go overnight. Well... a couse in chicken algebra later, because chicken math on equals a few extra, we have 20 hens and a rooster, plus we have five new chicks from a natural hatch Saturday. Well I digress. Below is our coop, coop add ons, chicken jail, maternity ward, and rain barrell watering systems we have added since we first got chickens in January. Initial six hen coop. Now the coop is three times the size, with power (heat lamp on one side, a fan on the other), 55 gallon rain barrel watering system, a chicken jail (quarentine), and a newly built maternity wing to keep the hen and chicks on the ground floor with food and water.
Very nice build out. Can I ask what the quarantine part is for?

Back
Top Bottom