Coop pics****

Just finishing up my chicken coop/greenhouse combo. The windows, main door, and roof shingles I picked up at the local Habitat Restore. The greenhouse panels we repurposed from an aluminum frame greenhouse kit that just wasn't sturdy enough to handle the wind and snow load we have here. We insulated both the greenhouse and coop, walls,ceiling, and floors. Temperatures in the winter where we live can get to negative 20 Fahrenheit and colder.

The smaller lean-to is the coop. Closable vents are above the 3 greenhouse panels.
We built the greenhouse separate from the coop because we live in a rental house and when we move we will need to move them as well.

The greenhouse.

The coop door my hubby made from plywood and 2x4's.

Our coop! My hubby wired it so we have electricity for lights and a water heater. We put in a "under cabinet" light just inside the door. It works perfect! Now we just need to make nest boxes, a feeder, waterer, and perches. Chicks go in tomorrow if it's aired out enough. Lucky chickees!

Did you put them in your coop yet? Would love to see updated pictures, such beautiful flooring for the bottom of a coop, your babies are going to be spoiled rotten
yesss.gif

You want ventilation so that the humidity does't get bad in the coop. You don't need heat. If you construct your coop proper you don't have to worry with the heat. Chickens can handle the cold way more than the heat. If they get use to the heat and you loose it, This can cause major problems for the chickens. Due to the amount of dust that chickens can stir up could cause a potential fire hazard. Chickens have survived in colder areas than you could ever imagine with no problems. When you get your chickens, get ones that are cold hardy enough for your area. I have picked my chickens up when it's been very cold here and they are warm under their feathers. It has gotten down to -9 here this winter and mine have done great. I do have electricity in my coop and I have a light bulb under my water pan to help keep the water from freezing. Sometimes it does great and sometimes it gets so cold that the bulb can't keep up. Good Luck

I am a beginner with chickens! I want to build a 4x8 coop in my backyard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! One of my main concerns is that I live in Ohio. I want to be sure that there is plenty of ventilation as well as protection from our very cold winter months! Please help: suggestions, best materials, coop plans!

I am a beginner with chickens! I want to build a 4x8 coop in my backyard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! One of my main concerns is that I live in Ohio. I want to be sure that there is plenty of ventilation as well as protection from our very cold winter months! Please help: suggestions, best materials, coop plans!

Our coop/run is 6 long x 4 wide x 6 feet high (4 x 2 x 4 for coop area and 6 x 4 x 6 for run). It's on concrete with a sand floor, and we have an adjacent 4 x 4 area on dirt ("The Sunroom"!) which is enclosed with hardware cloth on sides and top so they can go out during the day and dig holes to their hearts' content.

The entire coop (framing and sides) is cedar. Metal roof and hardware cloth on sides. Food and water hang in a protected area under the coop. We cut vent holes one side of the coop and have a window which opens and closes on the other. The door to the coop has a window which can be closed as well. There are 2 pop doors: one to the coop area and one to the Sunroom. If it's chilly, I can close the coop pop door but usually keep it open since the entire coop and run are secure. We live in the south so cold is never a problem. Just make sure your coop has lots of ventilation and they'll be fine.

I'm delighted with the design. It is perfect for 2 hens and that keeps me honest. 10-14 eggs a week is all we can handle and more chickens would mean more poop and more unwanted "chicken landscaping". When we are home and can supervise, the girls get to free-range around the fenced backyard.

We looked at lots of the small coops on this website. Ours is a bit like the Wichita Cabin Coop with a different roof line and I took some ideas from the medium sized "Average Gingo" coop as well. There are so many fabulous ideas on this site and I'm very grateful for everyone who shares them! I've posted photos before, but here are 2 again.

Good luck with your coop!

Our coop to hold our two Barred Rocks and two RIR Bantams. It started out plain wood grain but the Mrs. wanted a "Cute Little Farm House". So I painted it up. I anchored it to a pressure treated frame and I think I will add a concrete block foundation as well. The two sections butt up against each other. I am adding handles, mounted two on the front and two on the back of each section. When all done, two people will be able to pick up each section, move it out of the way for cleaning, and set it back on the foundation. The coop sits in the center of my fenced-in garden so the ladies will be able to free range whenever I am home.

Back
Top Bottom