Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

Chickenology: Dogs & Chickens

This is a subject that comes up with me a lot when conversations turn towards the topic of Poultry; "Can you keep dogs with chickens?" It's pretty understandable, there is a concern that the dog is going to make a meal out of your feathery charges. And that concern could cause a reasonable person to forgo the keeping of poultry.

Here is my experience with our dogs and the various chickens that we have kept over the years. Those of you that have followed the thread, already know a few of the painful tribulations that I have experienced in keeping dogs with chickens. There are a few experiences that I did not/could not/will not write about...just to painful I guess.

When we first contemplated getting chickens, we had only one dog, "Sophy". She is a little Queen around the house. In Sophy's world, the sun revolves around her. So there was some obvious concern as to how she would react to having a flock of birds housed in the backyard...in HER backyard to be precise.

I took Sophy to a nearby Heritage Farm for a day to feed bread to the chickens. This is a working farm in our area; they are a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). They have a small mixed flock of chickens that produce eggs that are then sold to customers and CSA members. I have a friend that is a member...so I made arrangements and Sophy got to go on a visit to a farm with chickens. Turns out, it was a good experience...for us both.

Our little "Sophy" has been around chickens for several years now and she's pretty good with them. She is tolerant of her feathered subjects, though, she gets mad and will growl and snap when they steal her snacks that she takes out into the yard to eat. Sophy is a Queen in her own mind...

Missy is a Lab-Cross and has grown up around our chickens her entire life. When Missy came to live with us, the chickens were bigger than she was...

...But as she's grown & matured, in her eyes she has become the "Chicken Protector"...there have never been any issues with Missy and the chickens.

In the time that we have been blessed with her, I have seen Missy chase various wild birds away from the chicken's Feed Hopper and she has taken on the duty of guarding the Grain Barrel, where I keep the chicken's bulk food storage, from marauding squirrels.

Every few years we will have a new flock of replacement chicks. It is wonderful watching them forage in the backyard as they grow and explore fenced world. Occasionally one or more of the chicks will get separated from the main flock. You know when this happens by the high pitched desperate cheeping of the lost chicks. When Missy hears these plaintive sounds her ears perk up and she immediately heads out into the yard looking for the lost chicks. Once located she then herds them to the rest of the flock.

She is a great guard dog. She watches over the flock during the day when we are at work.

I cannot say how nice it is to have Missy in our family...I love this dog so much.

Sadie, on the other hand, is my daughter's dog...the one next to Missy in this photo.

Sadie has grown up with Missy and the two are best friends. Yes that is a weird statement to make about a pair of dogs, but I cannot describe their relationship with each other in any other fashion that makes sense.

Sadie is a very excitable dog and as such she has killed several of our chickens. I do not trust her to be home alone with the chickens when we are gone. She hasn't killed one of the birds in over a year, but I still don't trust her alone with them.

In her defense, I'd almost say that Sadie is a "Special" dog...and she just doesn't get it.

What can I say about keeping Dogs with Chickens?...I'm going to "Copout" and say simply it depends. Older dogs may or may not be a good mix with chickens, we lucked out with Sophy.

Young dogs...puppies...you can work with them and socialize them to the chickens. Heck you might even get lucky and wind up with a guardian dog that will hover over the flock and protect them from all sorts of evil denizens like sparrows and doves and marauding squirrels.

Last edited:
Chickenology: Being Part of the Pecking Order

First my position in keeping these animals is to be as proficient a steward as I can be...It is my job to understand their needs and provide them with a safe happy environment in which to live out their lives under my care. If I do this correctly I am rewarded by their hilarious antics, their amazing behavior and EGGS.

I have seen this many times:
First time chicken keeper. ........Problem is the boss hen. I like to sit in the yard reading, and she's taken to coming up and giving me a peck. If I shoo her she sneaks back to do it again. This is no fun when I wear sandals.

Any ideas?

I have written about dealing with a "ROO & his Oats". Here's how I deal with a Boss Hen and Her Pecking Order:

I would deal with her the same way that I would deal with a ROO that chose to challenge me. I wrote about this in my Coop Project Thread...here is a quick answer.

She has adopted the position of Flock Boss and is pecking you to show that SHE is in charge of the flock. If she was attacking you it would because she sees you as a "threat" to the flock. So essentially she's just letting you know in "chicken speak" that you are below her in the "pecking order."

That is actually great...because if she saw you as a threat and was attacking you, that would be a long row to hoe. In the end she may wind up as a center piece to a meal or be taken to another home where she would most likely wind up being the center piece of their meal.

To begin: YOU need to SHOW her that YOU are in charge...by treating her the way a ROO would treat her.

When she approaches you to give you a peck, take your hand and press her to the ground...hold her firmly, don't hurt her; and she will struggle.

Hold till she settles down, then , while still holding her use your other hand to mess with her hackles and her tail. Then let her up, but be ready. If she accepts you as the "ROO" of the flock, she'll ruffle her feathers and walk away with an indignant strut. If she does this then wait a minute or so then give her a treat to reinforce that YOU are also the provider.

With my flock I make a habit of periodically pressing hens, to avoid being part of the pecking order. They stand and ruffle their feathers and walk away indignantly.

You will also notice that at times your hens will squat and stomp their feet in front of you...don't ignore this behavior. This is an important part of their socialization within the flock. Gently put your hand on the hen's back, mess with the hackles followed by her tail and she will be happy. She is using Chicken Speak to recognize you as the ROO of the flock...it's a good thing.

If she doesn't accept you, she will try to peck you. Thus the battle of position begins. Be PATIENT and do not get frustrated, chickens are not Rocket Scientists...they can be slooooww to learn.

Repeat the procedure until she shows signs that she accepts you as the "ROO".

The reason your Hen sneaks up and pecks you, after you "Shoo Her Away" is because your response goes against the social norms of what she expects. If you don't play by the rules, she's not going to play by the rules either. She has learned by your actions that she needs to sneak up on you to establish the Pecking Order.

Hopefully you will have caught this in time, the longer this goes on...the less likely the behavior will stop. Chickens are hardwired, once they LEARN something, it's hard to re-educate them.

My little Flock Boss, doesn't peck me....No...she pecks any chicken that gets remotely close to me. She's a Silly Jealous Bird.

This advice listed below is WHY I don't like to take other peoples BIRDs. I find that all I'm doing is inheriting their problems and having to try to correct issues that they have created through their ignorance of this animal.

"Get a squirt gun, super soaker is better, she will quickly learn not to come up to you."

Sorry but this is Garbage Advice.

Chickens play by a set of behavior rules that are the framework of their social structure. Your Chicken will play by the rules as long as YOU play by the rules...this advice goes against the rules and will result in sneak attacks and ultimately getting rid of the bird or failing entirely...having the bird for dinner. This advice is the result of a lazy ignorant understanding of Poultry.

Last edited:
They honored all the graduates today in church. It was nice to see all the kiddos, our 2016 graduating high school seniors and college grads.

After church my grandson came over. He was very excited to see the "Chickies". With all the weather we've had, the Welsummer pullets were on the back steps sunning themselves.

He was pecked a few weeks back by one of the hens and has been a little leery of touching them. So for him to pet the babies is a big deal. :cool:

Last edited:
I was sitting here at the end of a nice day, enjoying a beautiful Colorado sunset, when my thoughts drifted to my little feathered garbage disposals that I have in the backyard. In my point of view, these aren't just chickens...they're like club-med chickens. I noticed it this morning when I was going through my daily routine, handling the birds and visually inspecting them...looking for any issues that I might need to head off before it gets out of hand.

I noticed their feet...silly right?

But I noticed how clean they were...and what healthy condition they were in considering these are fairly old birds. I remember the farm chickens from my youth, they lived their lives mostly in a coop & run system. Seldom were they given freedom to roam the yard...to many predators. Those farm chickens had feet that showed the hard life they lived, swollen joints, twisted toes, caked on dirt and raised worn scales on their shanks.

These birds under my care also get some really choice foods. Yeah, they get the usual whole grains and commercial rations, coupled with the constant grazing of lush deep green grass. The grass makes the yolks a deep yellow, and enriches the eggs with Omega-3 Fatty Acids. The eggs from these spoiled chickens have a deep full rich flavor compared to the tasteless pale yellow yolk of our local store bought eggs.

They get alot of our table scraps. Since getting the chickens, we really don't throw a lot away any more...it gets...recycled.

Here is what they had today:

Eggs Shells from breakfast, followed by some uneaten scrambled eggs and a bit of toast.

Left overs from our lunch included some salad and uneaten hotdogs mixed with some pieces of bun and fruit salad.

And just now, I tossed them left overs from dinner, fajitas, salad, and brown rice. They love the cooked bell peppers & onions as well as the thinly sliced flank steak.

I am a food service to my little flock. It's a responcibility that I truly enjoy. The biggest thing that I enjoy is calling the girls over hand feeding them. Each one gets as equal a portion that I can...considering the pecking beaks, flapping wings and jumping bodies. The crazy thing is...when I talk to them, they look at me. They make eye contact...crazy right.

And in return...my club-med chickens give me the most flavorful eggs. Such a deal.

Last edited:
Sunset came and went, I headed down to catch the little Welsummers and put them up for the night.

It was a bit darker than normal when I looked under the coop, a place they gather and wait after sunset. I looked, and they weren't there...I got up, looked around...they weren't around.

I left the run and searched the yard...they were gone. So I went back to the coop, got out my cell phone and pointed the light in the open space under the coop...still no birds.

My mind was just getting revved up when I caught the quietest little peep from above me. At first I wasn't even sure I heard it...but I looked and there were 3 little faces looking at me. OMG...they put themselves to bed. They were all huddled in the coop.

It took my Buff Orpingtons FOREVER to put themselves to bed at night. The Welsummers got in just 6 days, these birds are avian geniuses.

So now I just check them each night for the next five days and we should be good.

I cleaned out the brooder tonight, I'll give it a good scrubbing out tomorrow..Then everything gets put away for another 2-3 years, until the next replacement flock is started.

Its been nice the last few days...the girls get up and greet me every morning as I fill the feed pan for the big girls, then the hopper for the little Welsummers and check water levels for the day. This morning the big girls were all roosting on a ground perch on the patio, enjoying their reflection in the windows of the basement; while the Welsummers were hanging out on the "Porch" to the run catching "No See-ums" and prancing around my ankles, peeping constantly.

In the last few days I have noticed that the big girls have started paying more attention to the little Welsummers, well actually only one is paying more attention. I have a Barred Rock Hen that is at the bottom of the pecking order in the big girls group. She has taken to asserting her position above the little Wellies at every opportunity; charging across the lawn to break up any gatherings and scattering the Welsummers to the protection of the run...typical chicken behavior, she finally has something below her on the pecking order and she's enjoying her new found authority. No damage is being done, so nothing that I'll deal with unless issues develop.

When I get home from work each day, it is my daily routine to collect eggs, top off feeders, check waterers and check the condition of the birds in the flock. I have 4 big girls in my laying flock, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Black Sexlinks. I have been collecting 3 to 4 eggs each day for the last 5 weeks...WOW these girls have turned into egg laying machines.

Once my basic chores are completed, I call the flock over and give them a treat....big girls are given their treat in one location and about 10 feet away, the Welsummers are given their treat. I like to give them cooked rice, brown rice is a favorite GoTo treat. I feed them by hand when I firs great them, Big Girls first followed by the Welsummers. Then as I feed the girls I also scatter cooked rice on the ground; this keeps them busy pecking and scratching while I observe, conduct physical checks if need be and enjoy the birds. Some days it can be a trick to keep the two groups separate from each other.

This weekend I'll be tearing down the brooder; washing, scrubbing and putting away all my various accoutrements. The Welsummers have made the transition, we have had storms each afternoon, with a big storm last weekend. At each instance the Welsummers sought shelter, endured the weather, and come out looking for worms and bugs right after the weather passes.

I am so pleased.

Now I need to find a home for the big girls. My daughter really wants the girls...they are well behaved, they come to her when she calls them and my grandson loves them. My Son-In-Law...not so much...
hmm.png

If that falls through, I have a lady in Platteville that keeps chickens, and as long as they lay she'll take them. She also likes my birds. The first time she took a few of my layers, she was shocked at how friendly they were and how "trained" they were.

So you give away or sell your older girls as you replace with younger pullets? My 4 girls are only 7 weeks old, so I have some planning time. I know I won't be able to butcher them when they stop laying, so maybe someone will want some "mature pets!"

Hey gardennut, good to hear from you.
cool.png

Where I live, I'm limited in the numbers of poultry that I can keep. So once a chicken's production drops off, I need to bring replacements or do without eggs. I'd have quite a bit of explaining to do with my significant other if we had a small flock of birds and NO eggs to speak of...

It's never easy for me when I find new homes for members of my flock. I get attached to them after caring for them, holding them, feeding them. But they do serve a purpose...

My girls are kept until production drops off significantly. I bring in replacement pullets and every few years I get to try another breed. This time, my breed of choice is the Welsummer.

It's sad and exciting at the same time.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom