Producer's Pride Sentinel Coop reviews?

You have to kneel or move it to a clean spot and then clean up the mess. It does come with trays though for the coop you just take out and dump. Super nice if you don't put them too close together. I also don't stick with the whole 10/4/1 rule people insist on though. I go off the actual birds. I have some that handle stocking rates much differently than others.
I have a big bully in there, the other 2 get whatever space she doesn’t feel like using ☹️ You could house more birds if they all get along well, but certainly not what the advertise it for!

Hello! Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. I have no experience with chickens yet, but I'm also shopping for a prefab coop to start a flock with. I originally was also looking at the Sentinal, but I've since switched to considering the Zylina coops. Better ventilation, but I'm also considerably farther south and horribly hot and humid most of the year. The Nesteras remind me of those outdoor smokers, wouldn't feel comfortable putting my birds in one of those! :gig

Plastic coops, I hear, are resistant to red mites though, so if that's an issue in your area that's a definite perk.

You mentioned being on a budget and considering a small flock of small to medium birds (like me!) so I'd thought I'd share the one I was considering. You can find it at TSC, but it's currently on sale at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/307110881

Good luck with your new fluffy flock!

Hello! Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. I have no experience with chickens yet, but I'm also shopping for a prefab coop to start a flock with. I originally was also looking at the Sentinal, but I've since switched to considering the Zylina coops. Better ventilation, but I'm also considerably farther south and horribly hot and humid most of the year. The Nesteras remind me of those outdoor smokers, wouldn't feel comfortable putting my birds in one of those! :gig

Plastic coops, I hear, are resistant to red mites though, so if that's an issue in your area that's a definite perk.

You mentioned being on a budget and considering a small flock of small to medium birds (like me!) so I'd thought I'd share the one I was considering. You can find it at TSC, but it's currently on sale at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/307110881

Good luck with your new fluffy flock!
Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like we are on the same journey.

I do have concerns about if the Nestera coops would get too hot in the summer. I am in the upper north east, so our maximum temperatures are in the 90s, but where I plan to put the coop would get a lot of late day sun. Most of the day it would be in the shade. I mostly liked that it has a 25 year warranty, can be easily hosed out, and the size seemed pretty good bang for my budget.

Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like we are on the same journey.

I do have concerns about if the Nestera coops would get too hot in the summer. I am in the upper north east, so our maximum temperatures are in the 90s, but where I plan to put the coop would get a lot of late day sun. Most of the day it would be in the shade. I mostly liked that it has a 25 year warranty, can be easily hosed out, and the size seemed pretty good bang for my budget.
A shade cloth or pavilion type tent could held shade it, but with access to the outside, chickens won't be in the coop much during the day.

I would need to close my doors in the winter for heat retention. We can get into single or even negative temps in January and February.
-20F here isn't uncommon at all. Ventilation is more important than keeping heat in. With the sentinels, the only air flow comes through the main coop door unless you modify it

I see you are in Michigan. Check your local Marketplace for those selling ice fishing houses. A fish house is generally insulated and built to keep out wind, and some already vented to get rid of the propane heater fumes.

I just did a quick search and saw this here, for example: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6500014966769698/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:bd1dc22f-0f92-4c91-a207-0badb709376c

Here's a high end one:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:bd1dc22f-0f92-4c91-a207-0badb709376c

I would need to close my doors in the winter for heat retention. We can get into single or even negative temps in January and February.
From what I hear you don't need to worry that much about the cold, since chickens have their fluffy feather coats to keep them insulated. Lack of air flow above their heads in the winter can cause frostbite and respiratory issues though from the moisture and ammonia buildup in the coop having nowhere to escape. If you plan on keeping them in their coop when the temperature gets low this may be something to consider, especially with single comb breeds that are more prone to frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom