Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

Awesome Question...I haven't talked about my feeding routine for several years now:

Chickenology: Feeding the Girls

This Spring, I'm starting a replacement flock of Welsummers. They have been fed a non-medicated Chick Ration; while my adult girls get their usual whole grain ration.

Since everything is fed free choice, the chicks have discovered the whole grains and the adult birds really are enjoying the Chick Ration. Once the Chick Ration runs its course I'll switch to a Grower Ration and I'll maintain that for another year. The whole grain ration is a mix of different whole grains (hence the name) is offered year round. I add flax seed to the whole grains once the grass goes dormant in the winter, to maintain a level of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the eggs, even though its at a noticeably lower level. Because of the inclusion of the whole grain ration, the flock needs access to grit so that they can process the feed properly.

All the birds forage in the yard every day. During Spring, Summer, and Fall they graze on lush green grass and hunt insects. I have NO dandelions in my back yard, wish I could say the same about my front yard.

In addition to the boring rations that I provide my flock, they get left over table scraps almost every day; from our varied meals. Most people will discount this feed source; however, when considered over the course of a year, these scraps are a significant consideration to the diet of the flock; especially when you consider that this is such a small flock. These left over scraps often contain some type of fat & meat products; which chickens need to maintain a healthy diet...they are omnivorous after all. A lot of the contents of this left over scrap feed contains a varied assortment of vitamins and minerals that they really would be missing in a strict whole grain ration alone. Included in the run are a few containers of ground Oyster Shell for the adult layers. These hang just high enough that the adults can get to it easily, yet the pullets walk under it and don't really seem to notice it.

In the fall after I harvest my garden I leave the gate open till I again plant in the spring. The girls will work that ground all fall and winter long. They get lots a great vegetable matter and a nice boost of meat type items from all the "grubbies" that they find; they work so hard for those grubbies....it amazes me the amount of soil that 4 birds can turn in a week. I have not rototilled my garden for several years now...no reason too, its already done for me each and every spring. All I do is plant.

Several times each month the girls get probiotics in the form of a plain cultured Yogurt or Sour Cream or both. Sour Milk is another great source of Probiotics that I highly recommend. My wife also makes her own culture of Kiefer Milk, which I find TOTALLY gross, but when I slip it to the girls on occasion, they cannot get enough of this supplement.

I absolutely need to video the next time I give the girls a probiotic ration...it seriously looks like some sort of a weird Mud Fight. I have never seen poultry get so excited; they are covered with it....Like a Mosh Pit. I had to walk away to keep from getting it splashed all over me.

...silly birds.
cool.png

Last edited:
Its been a bit busy this spring, new replacement layer flock, watching my son's baseball games, and my daughter finished her degree and has graduated from college.

So I'm a bit late on a few seasonal chores.

My fence is a nice cedar privacy fence, but nails work loose. Every Spring I go and re-set loose nails and replace any boards that need attention. Repair any damage that needs attention, look for any gaps or holes where a bird might slip through into a neighbor's yard.

All my neighbor's have dogs of various sizes, I really don't want a stray dog in my yard raising havoc I with the girls.

This year I had help. It's more fun that way....

Last edited:

Nice evening rain rolled in. We came home and all the girls were in bed for the evening. I went out to check on things, old habits. Once the little Welsummers heard my voice, they all gathered at the pop out hole and were soon scampering under my feet chattering away, telling me all about their day and the rain.

I need to just be quieter, and not talk so much to the big girls when I check on them in the evenings. :/

Quote:
I love your coop! Anymore updates on the project? How are the chicks? I missed something, where did the Welsummers come from?

hmm.png
I update this thread as events occur that are related, impact or support this project.

My current "chicks" are Welsummers, they are about 6 or 7 weeks old now and have been outside for....going on...3 weeks. I guess they aren't chicks anymore, since they are now fully feathered. They would now be classified as pullets.

I started the Welsummer posts on page 42 of this thread, at the top...with the post Title "Spring 2016".

I hope that I have answered your questions....
cool.png

Thanks for the chicken feed comment! Great info! How do you give them the sour cream and yogurt? in a dish? sorry if that's a silly question!

Do you have any opinion on hanging their feeder and waterers? i have them on the ground and it's so gross right now!!

Back
Top Bottom