Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

I went out last night to put the ducks away an lock up the run....ALL the pullets were sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

I went back in the house and got my son to help round up the girls and get them into the run. He says to me, "They aren't in the coop? They are always in the coop by dark." I had to remind him that we no longer have Pecker to make sure that the pullets go into the run at night.

Last edited:
I did, however, finally get a photo of Pecker crowing...
cool.png

Unfortunately, the grass is in focuss, and Pecker is slightly out of focuss.
hmm.png

Last edited:
He's a beautiful roo... One of my silver spangled Hamburgs is turning into a roo...he tried to crow for the first time Friday, so funny!
I'm sorry you had to give Pecker up...

I got up and let the girls out at 5:00am this morning. Then had a quick cup of coffe and came into UNC early this morning to get a few final details completed for a presentation that I had at 9:00am and get some research projects completed before the 4th of July.

Dr. Thomas came by to say "hi". He told me that Pecker got pretty beat up over the weekend. They had to put him in isolation with some food and water for a few days. That was news that I didn't really need first thing in the morning, but as I thought about it...it was actually pretty good news to hear.

He spoke about processing several of the ROOs in the meat flock, "...so that it would reduce the pressure on Pecker in the flock". Without coming out and actually saying it...I think that they feel Pecker is a beautiful bird; they like Pecker; they don't want Pecker to see any harm; and Pecker is probably not going to be a meat bird in their flock.

They're going to process a few of the meat birds so that they don't pick on Pecker....Sounds like Pecker is going to be more of a pet than the center piece at the dinner table. It pays to have a well trained/mannered bird...all that hard work seems to have paid off for Pecker.
cool.png

Well, it stinks poor Pecker was being picked on, but hopefully he lives a long happy life. I was a little sad at the thought of him being dinner.
I was wondering the impact on the rest of your flock? Since Pecker obviously kept them in line, how long is it going to take one of the females to pick up where he left off?
~Ashley

If anybody told me that I could come to care about a rooster that belonged to a total stranger who was living half a country away--of course I would have told them they were crazy
lol.png
Turns out, I check in every day just to keep updated on your birds! Glad to hear that Pecker is going to be treated well (and not eaten...) Sorry that you miss your bird
hmm.png
. I'm trying not to get too attached to mine, as I am an outlaw chicken keeper
wink.png
, so far my neighbors are great--but none of us have heard an "egg song" yet. Your thread is very enjoyable.

I've also been reading along, and am glad to hear your little roo has secured a home where he might not be up for the dinner table! :)

I had a question about your ducks, though- we'd thought about keeping ducks with chickens, but we always assumed they needed access to a large body of water. How much water do your ducks really require? The most I've seen here is that 15 gallon tub, but I may have missed something in skimming.

Thank you all for your kind words...It's silly to be saddened by the loss of a ROO; you have no idea how nice it was to read your posts. Thank you.

I must admit that I crossed the line between a "Handler of Poultry" and a "Keeper of Pets". My little flock of birds have become pets...
hmm.png

About Ducks: Ducks love water. They are elated when they find even the smallest puddle of water, splashing in it like a child playing in mud-puddles. During a rainy day, while the chickens are glumly sitting in the coop, the ducks will be out playing and quaking; going from puddle to mud-hole and back again. Water...it is a part of their very psyche. Ideally, ducks will want enough water to bath in. This will keep them at their happiest. Ducks do not preen or dust-bath like a chicken in order to keep pests and parasites at bay. Bathing in water is how they stay clean & healthy. They do have an oil gland, but that is used to keep their feathers water-repellent and in fine condition; not to stay clean and parasite-free.

Other Duck and Gerty have 3 central sources of water in the yard. They use the 3 gallon waterer in the mornings before I let them out and whenever they are in the run. I have a metal pan that is about 6 inches deep and 16 inches across...they both use this pan everyday and as such I fill it 2 and sometimes 3 times a day. I have also provided the ducks with a 15 gallon tub. Other Duck gets in this tub and splashes and plays all the time....especially on hot days. (Gerty is still trying to master "How to use a Ramp"; I'm hoping that he gets his diploma soon).

As a minimum amount of water, the ducks need to have enough water so that they can submerge their heads. They are dabblers and as such they are constantly dabbling in the grass, in their feed and in dirt & mud. They need to be able to submerge their heads in water, so that they can keep their nasal passages clean, clear and healthy. When I watch my ducks, they will dabble in the grass, then dash across the lawn and wash and dip their heads in the pan or the tub...then back to the lawn for more dabbling. They are even worse when they feed out of the hopper; traveling back and forth between hopper and waterer.

I worry what to do this winter when everything freezes. When I was a kid and we had ducks, they would go down to the ditch that ran behind the house. The ditch almost never froze; so they always had access to open water to bath and wash in during the icy months of late December and January.

I was wondering the impact on the rest of your flock? Since Pecker obviously kept them in line, how long is it going to take one of the females to pick up where he left off?
~Ashley

Sorry...Just reread your post and I had missed your questions.

Pecker has been gone a grand total of 2 days, but there is a pullet that has sort of taken the lead in the flock. This bird eats first & drinks first. If I give the flock a treat, she is the first to be feed or she is not happy. She has even started squaring off with our little dog, Sophie....which is quite funny, as they are both about the same size.

So far Sophie is still standing her ground, but I see her days are going to be numbered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom