Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

I hope that you are right and that she is a Gildy and not a Gus, that would make me very happy.
cool.png

...Gildy and Pecker squared off often. Gildy has amazing hackle feathers when she's ticked-off. It happens so fast, I have not been able to capture a reasonable image. These skirmishes with Pecker were the reason why I had a sneaking suspicion that there were 2 cockerels in the flock; and that one of them was a late developing male.

Did all your chickens turn out to be hens and not roosters? They are so cute! :)

Back in early April we purchased 6 pullet chicks. Since then one of our pullets became a cockerel...I named him Pecker. But I have always thought that there might be another cockerel in the flock. Pecker was a very good protector of his flock and he was a micro-manager (read that as very dominant with the flock, not people though ...we successfully worked that out)

Since Pecker has been gone...I'm noticing that one of my pullets, Gildy, is quickly developing a nice red and well defined comb. Could be that Gildy is a cockerel. There is some that feel she is in fact a she, but there are those that feel she is actually a he in disguise. It's still real early (they will be only 3 months old tomorrow) but I don't see any sign of "saddle hackles"...that is a sure trait, but it doesn't develop until much later.

so it looks like of the 6 pullets purchased...one is a ROO, one might be a ROO and 4 look to be pullets. That is horrible, if the hatchery claims it to be a pullet, then it should be a pullet. How can a hatchery survive if that is the best that they can do?

For now, we'll wait and see. I'll post events as they occur.

Last edited:
Oh no :( Sorry to hear!! Im going through the same thing, 2 out of my 4 that I got might be ROOS. :( I love them, they are pets, so I dont know what to do. And it sucks these places that do this all the time should KNOW the difference from birth what they are so these things dont happen :( I guess its probably just too hard to tell, but with some breeds its really easy, like with RIR's, the female chicks have a black line down their back. I wish you the best, love your pics!!

I just wanted to to let you how much I have enjoyed your journey here. I have been reading along and am always happy when I see you have updated. :)

I swear I am not a creepy internet stalker. Just a crazy chicken lady. :)

I was out working in the backyard last weekend and 2 little boys poked their heads over the fence. One of the little boys says to me, "Hey where are the little chickies? My cousin wants to see them."

I replied, "They're right there under the tree in the shade."

To which I heard, "Those aren't the chickies...those are chickens."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom