Coop proximity questions

jag

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
Maine
How far away from your house is your coop? The shed that I am planning on converting to a coop is very close to my house; is this a problem? I have looked for ordinances pertaining to this in my town and there are none.

I plan on keeping my coop very clean, but even with a weekly cleaning...is it still going to smell? Will the fenced in run smell?
At the moment, it's being planned for 25 chickens.

I can move it, but then again...I still have to get to it in the winter. Plus I love the idea of being able to watch them out my back windows.

My main coop is 70 ft from my house. I don't smell anything at all, but mine do range out of the pen most days. You say 25 chickens, but if your coop is too small, it will tend to smell alot faster than if you have alot of room for each bird. I then retrofitted part of a storage building for a nursery coop/broody pen/emergency room and it is closer than the main coop and still I smell nothing from it. Just stir around the pine shavings with a small rake once a day, maybe sprinkle some food grade diatomaceous earth, if you can find some, under the shavings, especially under the roosts. From time to time, add a few scoops of fresh shavings and every couple to three months, maybe, clean all those out and put all fresh down. It won't be as bad as you would think, unless they get wet! They must stay dry, that's the main thing.

My hubby put my coop all the way at the top of our side yard, it's over the length of a football field! He must think I need the exercise. It was tough this winter as I have to carry water every morning and night. Oh yes it's also all uphill.!!!!!!! I make him carry my feed and scratch,and shavings, maybe he needs the exercise?
lol.png

The shed is 12' x 7' and now that I have gone ahead and gotten 25, they can have the whole thing.
So thats 3.36 sq. ft./bird - that should be okay, right?

When I say it's close...it's about 10 ft. off the back of my house. If I should move it, I need to plan that now before the run is built. The shed is heavy, and we do like where it sits, so if we didn't have to move it that would be great.
DH is the one who asked last night and I really hadn't thought about it until then.

You may want to consider the prevailing wind direction. Also chickens release feather dander and kick up dirt while dust bathing.

Back
Top Bottom