New to Owning Chickens - Coop for Winter

DFruFru

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2023
I will be getting eggs in May so I am currently planning out their coop and run. We have a play fort that we can't get back on the top of the kids playground but I am not sure if the walls are going to be thick enough for the Upstate NY winters. Or should I add a little more to the inside? (we are covering the windows too)

The plan is to basically convert this to a raised coop that they can also go under. I am only looking to keep three or four chickens in it.

I just want to make sure this will work before I steal it from the kids.

Attachments

• chickencoop.jpg
    chickencoop.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 44
Looks like it could work...nice roof overhangs for soffit vents.
Decent height for ventilation up high above roosts.

How do the windows work, do they open?

How big is it, in feet by feet?
How many chickens do you plan on keeping?

Looks like it could work...nice roof overhangs for soffit vents.
Decent height for ventilation up high above roosts.

How do the windows work, do they open?

How big is it, in feet by feet?
How many chickens do you plan on keeping?
The windows don't open but I plan on taking those off and making that the nest area. I am thinking of putting plywood over that area for access to eggs. Front to back is 4.3ftx3.8ft. From center of the window to other window is 4.5ft. The whole inside is hollow even up to the vent at the very top.

I'm only keeping about 3-4 chickens but my worry is that the even covering the windows that they walls aren't think enough for the winter here. I know some chickens do well in the cold but maybe I am over thinking because I hate being in the cold?

The windows don't open but I plan on taking those off and making that the nest area. I am thinking of putting plywood over that area for access to eggs.
Think about heights before deciding where the nests should go.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Front to back is 4.3ftx3.8ft. From center of the window to other window is 4.5ft. The whole inside is hollow even up to the vent at the very top.
Pretty small floor space, just barely big enough for 3-4.
What are your plans for a run? A big run with a solid roof and wind breaks up in winter would be a good balance to the smaller coop.

I'm only keeping about 3-4 chickens but my worry is that the even covering the windows that they walls aren't think enough for the winter here. I know some chickens do well in the cold but maybe I am over thinking because I hate being in the cold?
Yes, remember they are wearing down coats, they actually do better with cold than heat.
You'll want those windows operable in summer. Top hinged is best IMO.
Tho you'll want a heated waterer in winter, ventilation is much more important that insulation...so don't worry about the walls being thick.

Think about heights before deciding where the nests should go.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Pretty small floor space, just barely big enough for 3-4.
What are your plans for a run? A big run with a solid roof and wind breaks up in winter would be a good balance to the smaller coop.

Yes, remember they are wearing down coats, they actually do better with cold than heat.
You'll want those windows operable in summer. Top hinged is best IMO.
Tho you'll want a heated waterer in winter, ventilation is much more important that insulation...so don't worry about the walls being thick.
I appreciate the information - it's a lot easier to think out loud and have people let me know if I am on the right track or not.
I am planning a fairly large run mainly because the kids are interested in sitting with the chickens and hanging out with them. I do plan on adding a roof to the run as well since we have a large number of hawks in the area.

Back
Top Bottom