Coop question…. Will this work?

SuzyQRanch

Hatching
Mar 20, 2024
I purchased this to use as a coop online. I have nesting boxes and roosting bars to put inside. I am planning on using construction sand in it also. I will let the chickens free range during the day and put them up at night. Will this work or do I need a fully enclosed house for them?

Attachments

• IMG_5358.png
    IMG_5358.png
    974.8 KB · Views: 5
Will this work or do I need a fully enclosed house for them?
It might, you may need to at least partial wall it to protect them from the elements.
The mesh on those runs are not predator proof and will need to be augmented.
All this will depend on your climate and predators.

So..... Welcome to BYC! @SuzyQRanch
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1710939400731.png

Yes, you will need a coop. Predators could come in easily and attack them in their, but also they could get cold out there. Plus they want to feel safe and secure while they are sleeping.

Welcome to BYC !! :welcomeI really like that as a run you can walk in. I have it and I like the tall gate for me. Not sure where you are but you can use this to get started while you enhance it with a coop inside or outside, attached. Check out the coops section of BYC, you'll get some great ideas. I started out with an old dog house, I think I spent less than $50 making it work. GOOD LUCK!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/large-coops.20/

You're getting conflicting answers because we don't know your climate. In arid or hot and humid climates, a more open coop is appropriate. In colder or wetter climates, this would need a lot of augmenting (solid walls) to protect against drafts and precipitation.

In either case, a unit like this is NOT predator proof as is and will require augmenting - hardware cloth or welded wire with no larger than 1/2" openings from top to bottom at the very least, as well as an apron.

Back
Top Bottom