Expanding coop and run

Mar 27, 2024
7B17DB45-30E5-4704-897D-FE155204C370.jpeg
My mom said I have to expand the chicken run AND coop before I can get more chickens. I understand the run expanding, but the coop is already huge with nesting boxes and roosting bars. So, any ideas on how to expand the run for these babies? here is Henny my blue laced red Wyandotte. (These chickens are almost always free ranging.)

Attachments

• AF3D3D21-C21F-464E-9536-B7582FCB4898.jpeg
    AF3D3D21-C21F-464E-9536-B7582FCB4898.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
View attachment 3785180My mom said I have to expand the chicken run AND coop before I can get more chickens. I understand the run expanding, but the coop is already huge with nesting boxes and roosting bars. So, any ideas on how to expand the run for these babies? here is Henny my blue laced red Wyandotte. (These chickens are almost always free ranging.)
Pictures of your setup would be helpful :).

Do y’all think this is enough for my amount of chickens currently? They free range most of the time. I have 10 hens and 1 roo, in there currently, and four two week old chicks In the brooder.

It's hard to tell what exact dimensions are of both run and coop. Have you compared how many you have to the recommended space requirements? I think that's a better way to answer the space question than to get opinions. For the record my opinion is I would NOT have more than 14 chickens in there. But again that's just me, you should measure your space and do the math and see where you are.
Standard Breed Chickens: 4 square feet of coop space per bird; 8 square feet of run space per bird

Measurements of coop would help. You also need to account for roosting space and possibly extra ventilation (more birds, more ammonia and moisture). Run is technically big enough for the birds you currently have, but integration favors having extra space.

Back
Top Bottom