Coop Questions, size, location, direction, shade

MambaJack

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016

I have a ton of stuff to ask, trying to plan out my coop, any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Pictured is my greenhouse, then to the right of that the current fish shed, and i am thinking maybe to the right of that putting the coop (with the little door).

8 hens, trying to figure out how big to make the coop, and the pen, initials thoughts are 7.5 x 5 on the coop and 15x15 on the run, can i go smaller than that?
Concerns i have are that the coop would be on the north side which does get cold wind, is that a big issue?
The front as picture here gets a ton of morning sun, but in late afternoon, the greenhouse would block most of the yard, is that enough sun?
My house is about 40 feet behind the greenhouse, so my view of the chicken pen is blocked by the greenhouse. Is it a bad idea?
The pump to the fish tank is constantly moving water through my growbeds and back into the tank so it make some noise, would that be bad for the chickens?
Should I provide some type of outdoor cover or porch? could possibly use the area underneath, or possibly underneath the greenhouse, would just need to do some fencing
(it is on a slope so backside groundlevel front side about 3' high.

The main reason i am looking at attaching is for water/electric access and possible heat in the winter. Thoughts?

This would be the back side of the sketch i posted in the original

Couldn't find the finished version of this end, but i am thinking about extending that current fish shed 4 or 5 feet to the left as a coop.
you can kind of how the ground slopes underneath then flattens out some.

Last edited:
That might work. On the coop itself, 4 sf per bird, so a 7 x 5 = 35 / 4 = 8.75?

With an enclosed run, probably OK.

So in the actual picture, we are looking south? Up high and elevated, with a floor, should be OK and even more so if the elevated part is on the south side to get winter sun. If you extend that shed roof, will you have enough headroom to enter to clean this out?

Interesting concept to have the chicken shed and greenhouse so close. A greenhouse to grow winter greens for the birds and droppings and soiled litter to go back into the greenhouse for fert and perhaps heat from some compost?

That might work.

I just finished a 4x4 coop with an 8ft run as wide as the coop I am enclosing under the coop this wknd i have 6 RIR and it will be plenty big enough - I let them run around the back yard when we are home

My run is 16m2 with a raised hen house so doesn't effect area space. How many would be happy and comfy in that amount of space. Many thanks x

Back
Top Bottom