Coop Review (TS Model)

Cherterr

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2013
Lake Somerville, Texas
I just purchased this small coop from Tractor Supply :

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/precision-hen-house-chicken-coop-30-in-x-78-in-x-41-in

I had an orphaned Silkie chick who was terrified of the other chickens (as they were incubator babies) and it wanted ME to be it's 24/7 'mom'. This was a lifesaver during my chicken 'emergency'!!:)

I really like this coop. It could also be used for a couple of Silkies (particularly when setting so my red hens will leave them alone).

It is designed much better than the more expensive red barn looking coop. The price was lowered by $50 so at $179 it was great. It has all the features you would need. two little roosts with a slide tray underneath, a ramp from the ground to the roosts, and it even has two nest boxes with a nice lid and a hinge to keep it open while you clean or gather eggs. It also has access in the front, and two more doors on one side.

I say if you're in a hurry, and have a couple of bantys - Go For It! ( I do think it is too small for regular sized chickens, unless they're only going to sleep in it.)

While looking for the link, I noticed it also has a wheel kit to turn it into a chicken tractor! Not bad.

Just thought this review might be helpful.

I can only speak for myself, but that coop you will find out in the long run is way too small. When I originally got started with chickens I purchased a coop kit very similar to the one you posted. After my neighbor friend and I got through putting it together we both just stood there looking at each other and at the same time said "that will never work!"

In the end I purchased a storage shed that is 5' x 8', one I can actually walk into for cleaning, feeding, etc., and I've never looked back. Just FYI .. wishing you all the best in whatever direction you choose to go!!

I can only speak for myself, but that coop you will find out in the long run is way too small. When I originally got started with chickens I purchased a coop kit very similar to the one you posted. After my neighbor friend and I got through putting it together we both just stood there looking at each other and at the same time said "that will never work!"

In the end I purchased a storage shed that is 5' x 8', one I can actually walk into for cleaning, feeding, etc., and I've never looked back. Just FYI .. wishing you all the best in whatever direction you choose to go!!

Guessed you missed this part of my post??:

" It could also be used for a couple of Silkies" and "I say if you're in a hurry, and have a couple of bantys - Go For It! ( I do think it is too small for regular sized chickens, unless they're only going to sleep in it.)"

This was an emergency coop for ONE Silkie who thought I was it's mom! :) It is a nice TINY coop for Special Situations.. as I said.

Guess you haven't seen my big coop. ;) (It's my pic/avatar)

Back
Top Bottom