Coop/run ideas for AZ heat and termites

AZMama6

Chirping
Feb 7, 2022
Peoria, AZ
We are getting our first chicks at the end of this month. :wee

I am trying to plan a coop. I am thinking an open air coop/run because of the desert heat. Basically a coop with 3 partial walls (for windbreaks and shade at the roost level) and open to the run on the remaining side. I hope that makes sense. Is there any considerations I should have with that design?

Also, we have a termite problem on our property. I was looking at pressure treated wood along the ground, but I read that the treated wood is bad for the chickens. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

I haven't gone through a summer yet so I have yet to pass judgement on my own coop design, but if you ever are in the neighborhood of The Western Ranchman you can go see their "cabana style" coop in the back.

Also look up "Edge of Nowhere Farm" on Youtube who are in Witmann, they also did the same style of coop which is to say a sort of run-in shed that is open to the elements on 1 side.

I wonder if a chicken would eat a termite? :D

I would probably do an A walk In a frame personally with lower roosts so that the heat can rise and you can get a good draft in there. The chickens will definitely help with your termite problem!

I am trying to plan a coop. I am thinking an open air coop/run because of the desert heat. Basically a coop with 3 partial walls (for windbreaks and shade at the roost level) and open to the run on the remaining side. I hope that makes sense. Is there any considerations I should have with that design?

Also, we have a termite problem on our property. I was looking at pressure treated wood along the ground, but I read that the treated wood is bad for the chickens. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!
I think that the coop @igorsMistress built is one of the best designs for your type of climate. I would recommend you give her article a read and try to build something similar.
Pressure treated wood isn't going the hurt your chickens. I have it all over in my run and they don't bother it.

Treated wood: Many coops are made from treated lumber, and the chickens aren’t going to eat the wood!

In your area, you have wind and heat. Not sure how cold you get or if you will have driving rain or snow to consider. Then there are predators.

Hardware cloth or welded fencing is your friend. Use it to keep the coop open to air, but predators out. FWIW, raccoons will reach in to grab a chicken and try to pull it out if they can get their paw past the wire. They won’t be able to but chicken will be dead, so if roosts are near any openings, add 1” or 1/2” HWC to prevent this possibility.

Ventilation fans meant for livestock for your wall or roof could be necessary to actively pull the air up and out.

Add lots of upper ventilation. Don’t rely just on windows bc during a storm, you may close the windows. Many people achieve this by having the roof supports sitting on top of the walls, so the roof has 3” of ventilation all around.

Shade: can you place it on the side of a building where hottest part of the day is shaded, or near other shade area? They will need lots of shade! Additional shade options are shade cloth, or vining plants to a crest a living screen. We’ve used birdhouse gourds with great success- they grow fairly quickly, their leaves are large.

Thank you for your help!
Hello and welcome! In my experience the treated wood won’t hurt your birds, and they don’t spend time trying to eat it either. Regardless, I highly recommend putting your coop on concrete blocks as a base. It keeps the wood away from termites quite nicely, and deep litter gives the birds something to do.

Back
Top Bottom