Coop size

RcHE2

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
Eastern shore Maryland
Good morning! So I built our coop over the winter to make it 8x4 and I installed 3 roosts in it all three just shy of 4' long. I also have a outside run attached to the coop that is 20x10. Well we ordered 6 barred rocks and might wife went into TSC and caved into the cute little chicks with by daughter. So they bought 6 more..... What are your opinions on the housing situation? Do I need more roost space or am I going to be okay? Also they will be free range usually when someone is home otherwise they will have access to the run every day. Thank you!

Well I would wait and see how they are with the roosts and see how much space they have left over once they are all on and I have two roosts that are about 6 feet long with 8 chickens and a turkey hen and they have more than enough room plus I just hatched a few more chicks so there will be a few more birds on the roosts minus the roosters they will go to the neighborsif they want them for there flock I just gave them one but they have a big flock.

O and the chickens can all fit on one of the roosts and plus they still have a little bit of room left so then the turkey wiggles on up there and she will sometimes set there or she will go to the lower roost

Back
Top Bottom