Coop size

Lstumbo

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2023
I am starting to make plans for a coop and run. I am wanting to start with 6 hens maybe move up to 12 when I get the hang of it. Question is I am planning on doing a 8x24 run with a raised 8x8 coop. Am I going overboard? My chickens will be unable to free range at any point because I have a cat with murder mittens!! TIA

There is no such thing as "going overboard" when building a coop and/or run for chickens. The average square foot per chicken is around 4', but if you live where they may be locked in there for weeks due to subzero temps or blizzards, suddenly that becomes not enough room and they'll start picking on each other.

Here is an excellent article about coop size: https://www.almanac.com/raising-chickens-101-how-build-chicken-coop

Not sure what kind of cat, but generally, cats don't bother full-grown chickens. Little nuggets running around is another story.

There is no such thing as "going overboard" when building a coop and/or run for chickens. The average square foot per chicken is around 4', but if you live where they may be locked in there for weeks due to subzero temps or blizzards, suddenly that becomes not enough room and they'll start picking on each other.

Here is an excellent article about coop size: https://www.almanac.com/raising-chickens-101-how-build-chicken-coop

Not sure what kind of cat, but generally, cats don't bother full-grown chickens. Little nuggets running around is another story.
Thank you Debbie! I live in south Mississippi so we will have to worry about the heat. My cat tends to attack anything that is smaller than her, so maybe she will leave the adult chcikens alone.

"I wish I'd made my coop smaller," said nobody, ever.

Space will help make a lot of things easier. Integration. Brooding. Sick or injured birds. Storage. And of course, chicken math.

Good luck! Enjoy your chickens.
Plus you’re more likely to be successful with “Honey I think I need more chicks” then “Honey I think I need a new coop”

Can you give more details on plan for the 8x8 raised coop?

Will it be walk in?
Will birds have access underneath?

I highly recommend making it a walk in coop. Tending an 8x8 that the keeper cannot walk in is extraordinarily difficult.
I also recommend that birds not have access under that size of structure for several reasons. If a bird gets sick and hunkers down under it would mean crawling under to retrieve them. It would likely be where a stubborn broody would decide to go....again crawling under for the keeper. Chicks not used to going in at night would be a nightmare to get under that size structure.
Then there is cleaning, gathering eggs...oh yeah...they will make nests in the most inconvenient places.

I am a firm believer that the chicken keeper needs to be able to reach every corner of both the coop and the run.

Last edited:
I am starting to make plans for a coop and run. I am wanting to start with 6 hens maybe move up to 12 when I get the hang of it. Question is I am planning on doing a 8x24 run with a raised 8x8 coop. Am I going overboard? My chickens will be unable to free range at any point because I have a cat with murder mittens!! TIA
Sounds nice! Better a bit bigger than too small!

Back
Top Bottom