Coop smells terrible!!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
I was cleaning the coop and I was gagging,I can always handle bad smells but not this one! There was poop build up and I have an egg eater so when I took the straw out of the nests it was wet on the bottom of the nestbox. I am wanting to know what I can spray/sprinkle in my coop to make it smell better? I know cleaning will and I haven't had time to do it and always keep it clean but it's just awful in there and Ii'm wanting to know any homeade or anything I can use in the coop to make it smell better and healthier thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clean the coop. sprinkle with some agricultural lime powder. the lime powder is a good soil cleaner. dry the soil with the lime in it. egg eaters must go or indicative of lacking a vitamin in your feed. do not let your birds in yet just the lime blend in the soil for 2 days.

put some ventilatiuon in your coop like a fan when the days are hot.

Last edited:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
PDZ is horse stall refresher. You can buy it at tractor supply or a place that sells livestock supplies. I use it in my poop box under the roost.

Last edited:
Ok thank you guys,I hate I let it get to this but I've had the coop door open for a while since it's summer to let more air flow. Have any of you guys used the coop cleaner from Manna pro that's at Tractor Suppy?

No, I haven't tried it. I don't have any problems with smell since I've started using a poop tray. I scooped it out every morning like you would a cat litter box.

Well my coop is 4 feet by 4 feet and about 7 feet tall,but were gonna build a bigger one sometime soon that will be about 10 feet by 10 feet and 6 feet high so I can have plenty of roosts on one side and the other side nest boxes, I need more coop space cause I have 12 chickens in that pen/coop and one of the hens has a older chick and 2 new moms with 3 new chicks(chicks are the 12 in the coop) So I can't wait to get my new coop!!

Back
Top Bottom