Coop wish list - what do you wish your coop had?

Buzz.Cluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
Southern New Jersey
I'm in the middle of a shed conversion and trying to think of little details that will be easy to add and worth their weight in the long run (like a shelf beside the nesting box to set my collection basket on, etc.) - what do you wish your coop had that it doesn't?

I'll be housing 12 to 15 layers. I know I'm doing a Pullet Shut automatic chicken door on the back. I've created a double layer door on the front for insulation in the winter but can be opened for ventilation when warm but also provides predator protection by being high on the door. There is also a large window on the back wall to keep the interior light. It will also be screened and can be propped for ventilation.

Here's some pics of the conversion in process. Obviously we've got a ways to go.

Looks like a nice coop! Well thought out.
What do I wish my coop had? Auto poop board cleaner maybe.... Cable TV would be nice.....
ya.gif

Looks really nice! I am actually quite content with my coop, i think your main keys are always predator proof and ventilation and ease of cleaning, after that the rest becomes personal preference.

Only thing I would want in mine is bigger windows for more light,and a water tight structure.Overall my metal shed is ok.Your shed looks nice. I wish I had an attached enclosed run so the chickens would be safe from the hawk.

I'd like to be able to feed and water without having to reach into the coop. So if when I build my next one I will incorporate a feeder and a watering system into the walls.

Glad to hear about the light - I wasn't going to cut that big window in back but it is so nice being in there with all the sunshine!

RE: feeder and waterers - that's where I'm puzzling now. I was considering little pop holes that would let me drop in feed or a hose that would then go down a PVC or other to fill feeders/waterers at the bottom end. Is that kind of what you've been thinking VelvettFog or were you going automated? I'm worried about possible critter nesting issues but if it's used every day they wouldn't have time to get in there to build a nest, would they?

Awesome coop!!! Looks like a nice big one. :)
My coop wish list? Um, not too much really. My Dad and I are building a summer coop for my hens and my four others additions. They're gonna have a double door thing. It's where one door is sold, you open that door then there's another door with a screen to let in LOTS of light and ventilation. I dunno, the coop we're building is kinda like my dream coop.
tongue.png

I did incorporate a feeder and watering system for my coop to where I don't have to go inside. The first image shows the PVC that is tied into a 5 gallon bucket with nipple waterers. The small door opens directly into a feeder I built between the studs of the coop.

430421_3849120994582_866036115_n.jpg

430421_3849120954581_1019879783_n.jpg

Last edited:
Chickencrazy- the door idea is what we did but only with the top half. I was afraid to do the bottom because of potential predator issues. Will you reinforce your screening to keep critters out?
Akb77- that looks great - almost exactly what i was picturing. Thanks for posting!

Hoping to get some roosting bars up and make her pretty this weekend! I want the girls off my porch and in their house!

Chickencrazy- the door idea is what we did but only with the top half. I was afraid to do the bottom because of potential predator issues. Will you reinforce your screening to keep critters out?
Akb77- that looks great - almost exactly what i was picturing. Thanks for posting!

Hoping to get some roosting bars up and make her pretty this weekend! I want the girls off my porch and in their house!
Yes, probably. I will most likely not just do straight chicken wire cause it's sorta flimsy. :\

Back
Top Bottom