Coops from kits (sorry in advance!)

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Okay, I know this is kind of pathetic, but for a bunch of reasons I'm looking at buying a coop and run kit for my new 6 day old Gold Sex Links--6 of them, for when they graduate from the brooder.
I already have my other little lovies, all 6 weeks old: a RIR, a Aracana and and Austrolorp in a coop by Summerhawk (http://www.homedepot.com/p/SummerHawk-Ranch-Vintage-Red-Barn-Chicken-Coop-33554/205745336?quantity=2) that I LOVE. Solid construction, easy assembly and great reviews. Also didn't break the bank because it is so tricked out including a covered run for about $300.
My dilemma: now that I have so many more chicks, and I've been told to keep them in separate coops. So many for sale out there have terrible reviews--do you have any advice? I really do need a kit, can't get materials and build from plan.
Thanks!

Not sure why you'd need to keep them in separate coops (once the chicks come out of the brooder of course), but the one you linked to is going to be too small for even the three you have in there when they're fully grown. It's dimensions will accommodate only 2 adult chickens comfortably.

There are certainly places that sell coop kits that will accommodate the number birds you're looking to keep though:

http://www.laughingchickens.com/

http://www.chickencondos.com/

And there's always craigslist.

Not sure why you'd need to keep them in separate coops (once the chicks come out of the brooder of course), but the one you linked to is going to be too small for even the three you have in there when they're fully grown. It's dimensions will accommodate only 2 adult chickens comfortably.

There are certainly places that sell coop kits that will accommodate the number birds you're looking to keep though:

http://www.laughingchickens.com/

http://www.chickencondos.com/

And there's always craigslist.
This is a great start, thanks! I was told that my first three are too old now and such different breeds that I should keep them in that coop I already bought and built. Now I've added those 6 six day old Gold Sex Links and I'll need a coop for them (kit). Those links are super cool, but super expensive. I've looked at other similar sites, but it's the same deal--the cut-off is either 4-5 chickens or 6-10 chickens. Craigslist has some scary stuff on it now, and for the past few weeks, but I'll keep looking. There are locals who will build, but that would end up super expensive, too. Any other ideas?

Alright everyone! I'm jumping in and building what I need after all. I was just getting more and more disgusted with the prices and the finished products. You guys are right: the original ways that people used are the right way to go! Thanks again!

Honestly, if budget is an issue, you really HAVE to build it yourself. There are lots of good plans out there. Heck, I bet you could expand the one in A Chicken in Every Yard pretty easily and it's super cheap to make (three sheets of plywood). And you can totally put all those chickens together. Whoever is telling you you can't is crazy. There are multiple articles on integration and how to go about it. People get new chickens ALL THE TIME. And since you have six of the sex links, that will make it much easier as the bigger ones won't be concentrating on just one or two new additions.

Best of luck!

Alright everyone! I'm jumping in and building what I need after all. I was just getting more and more disgusted with the prices and the finished products. You guys are right: the original ways that people used are the right way to go! Thanks again!
Hi High Street! We probably posted right around the same time...my update is above. The reason I can't do a large build myself is due to disability and it's just me and my 11 year old son. I've enlisted a few people around the neighborhood to help though, and it's a great way to get to know them since we're new in the area!
By the way....no one ever told me how addictive chickens are:) We now have added 10 wonderful Golden Sex Link sweeties--only one week old now!

Hi Kirsten,
welcome-byc.gif
!

High Street Coop is right, you can integrate the two groups. If you can set up some sort of wire play area for the babies to play outside on nice days, the two groups can get to know each other through the safety of the wire. Then when you think they are ready, you can open the door to the play pen and let them meet at their own pace. It's not like you have adult hens that might kill an intruder baby chick. (And even then, you can still intro them the same way when the babies have some size on them. Mine did fine.)

I agree with your end decision. Building is really the best option, because for the size you need, you would have to pay huge bucks. And I can attest to the flimsiness of this kind of coop: http://www.shop.com/Precision+Pet+H...0&cadevice=c&gclid=CM380P2O-cQCFQqSaQod7hsAvA

Mine feels like it is going to fall apart any day now, the wood, especially in the nest box, is so thin. It has only been in use for a year. The 4'x4' coop I built myself only cost a couple hundred more in the end, and it is solid, and holds a lot more chickens. It can't get any better than to have people help you build it, and make friends in the process!

Edit: I just got to thinking, maybe you were advised not to put the two groups into the same brooder due to their age difference. That is actually true. You want to wait until they are out of the brooder, and have some space to run away from each other if necessary.

Can you post photos of your little cuties? Or maybe you have, somewhere else?

Last edited:
Oh trust me, you'll get sick of seeing all of the pics. Kinda like when I had my son! I'm glad (at this point) that I actually WILL be able to build my own coop. I guess my problem is an addiction to chickens--is there a chickens anonymous? I would have been fine with my wonderful first coop....for three birds. However, now I have 10 Gold Sex Link gals....sigh. I just love all of them, and never expected to feel that way!

Back
Top Bottom