Corn

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
There is a huge storm going through the area making it very cold especially for the flock. And I had read that corn helps in the winter. Now is this true? if so how should the corn be and how much?

Chickens will always go for corn even if they aren't all that hungry. Mine will anyway. I go out a few minutes before they roost and toss out a little corn. It gives them something to digest while they are sleeping and I've read that keeps their body heat up a bit. Don't know if its true but they enjoy the corn.

The key is to make sure they go to bed with a full crop. Don't substitute the corn for their normal feed. If you give it to them as a bed time snack, most chickens will top off with the extra corn so you know they are full. The digestion process will help keep them warm during the night. You can also use it as bait to get them out of the coop and moving around when they really don't want to. I like corn chops the best. They are small enough that they have to work a bit to get their fill and you can throw it down as scratch and not waste it.

Corn is one of the last thing you want to feed your chickens on a cold night, it does nothing for keeping them "warm", burns off quickly, and is high in calories so they eat less of it than say a good poultry feed.

If you want something to feed them that last in there system for a longer time and to point help them stay warm then feed them there regular feed or better yet feed a good poultry feed that is high in proteins 20%+ and top with a little oats. The proteins and fiber will take longer to digest.
There is a very good reason that they say to reduce protein intake on hot days to reduce heat stress/stroke in poultry.

Corn is one of the last thing you want to feed your chickens on a cold night, it does nothing for keeping them "warm", burns off quickly, and is high in calories so they eat less of it than say a good poultry feed.

If you want something to feed them that last in there system for a longer time and to point help them stay warm then feed them there regular feed or better yet feed a good poultry feed that is high in proteins 20%+ and top with a little oats. The proteins and fiber will take longer to digest.
There is a very good reason that they say to reduce protein intake on hot days to reduce heat stress/stroke in poultry.
Alright, I will keep that in mind. Thank you very much!

@Honey Bee
There is a huge storm going through the area making it very cold especially for the flock. And I had read that corn helps in the winter. Now is this true? if so how should the corn be and how much?
Yes, it is true. Corn is known as a "hot feed" and when digested it heats up the chicken's system. Giving them a handful before bed can be beneficial. It should be avoided during warm summer months. Another member here on BYC stated that "corn is 14% fat and is burned for energy which helps keep birds warm". Corn is not a healthy food though, so I only recommend giving it every once in a while as a treat.

However, chickens are basically standing ovens. A chicken's body heat is about 104 degrees fahrenheit, and along with having feathers, they stay very warm. Unless it is bitter, and I mean bitter cold, I don't think you'll need to worry about them being cold.

It's been below freezing and some time below zero here for the last few days.

With it being that cold, giving them some cracked corn would be a great idea. Good luck with your birds!
smile.png

Last edited:
After protein requirements met, the additional corn used as energy source I prefer to feed as whole. The cracked does not compare well with respect to vitamins and possibly fatty acids. Even half grown birds can consume the corn whole. Rule of thumb I follow is birds must consume the same amount of nutritionally balanced feed they would under more ideal conditions where temperatures are in the 60's F before the energy food is applied. When cold stressed they will increase feed intake so I make so most of that increase is represented by corn and soaked oats.

Back
Top Bottom