Corn

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
There is a huge storm going through the area making it very cold especially for the flock. And I had read that corn helps in the winter. Now is this true? if so how should the corn be and how much?

After protein requirements met, the additional corn used as energy source I prefer to feed as whole. The cracked does not compare well with respect to vitamins and possibly fatty acids. Even half grown birds can consume the corn whole. Rule of thumb I follow is birds must consume the same amount of nutritionally balanced feed they would under more ideal conditions where temperatures are in the 60's F before the energy food is applied. When cold stressed they will increase feed intake so I make so most of that increase is represented by corn and soaked oats.

Do you know what is meant by a, "Hot Feed"
It has nothing to do with "heating up" or even giving off heat.
Do some research on the subject I think you will find that the information you have is incorrect.

Corn will not help them keep warm, in fact to a point it will do just the opposite since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is not 14% fat, it is around 3% fat.
Corn is very safe to feed in the warm summer months since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is to a healthy feed ingredient, it has more total digestible nutrition than some of the other common grains used in a poultry ration, is low in fiber and has a good amount of energy.
From my information, corn is by no means a healthy food. All of my information is off of many hours of research. You're free to have your opinion, but I will state that you're the first person I've ever seen to say that corn is a "healthy ingredient". We like to have a friendly and nice atmosphere on BYC, so there was no need to tell me to "do some research". You have your opinion and I have mine.
smile.png

Corn will in fact keep them warm while they are digesting it. Their bodies will turn the corn into glucose, which is a form of sugar and will give energy and heat temporarily to the bird. It is good in the winter time, but in the summer time it can cause over-heating and other issues.
Corn is not a healthy ingredient. Corn provides way too many calories, and chickens will gain weight if eating it more than just a treat. If a chicken eats too much, their bodies will turn the corn into excess glucose which will turn into fat. Corn contains starch, and therefore you have to limit consumption, because you will gain weight whether you're a person, a chicken, or even a horse.
Corn is not a vegetable, like some believe.

Last edited:
What part of not arguing do you not understand? You didn't site your sources and neither did I. I replied to you with respect but I'm not getting much in return. I'm unsubscribing from this thread so don't bother replying. As I said, have a good day.
I'm not arguing..
If you look around here on BYC my sources have been posted more than one time.
Also if did do some looking here on BYC you will find a name Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay, he has a PhD in livestock/poultry nutrition and works for Hubbard Feed,,, read what he says about corn. You might learn something.

Here is just one of the links I have posted on here over the years, if you want more you do the home work...

Quote: Feeding corn does not make them hot in terms of body heat, but will in terms of increased activity. In fact, feeding oats to provide the same amount of digestible energy per day will generate more body heat because oats have a higher fiber content than corn. Fiber digestion generates more body heat. Therefore oats, not corn, will actually produce more body heat.

<sigh> If I soaked the BOSS before I gave it to my chickens they'd have bigger problems than fibrous shells.....they'd be trying to figure out how to eat the giant Sunflower Seed Popsicle I just put in their run! Soaked food and -12 degrees just don't go together.
idunno.gif

I dunno. I've been following this and have reached a monumental conclusion! If you like to feed corn and do it moderation, then continue. If you don't like the idea of feeding corn, then don't. I don't know if a little corn at night helps chickens stay warmer or not. Obviously some say "yes", some say "no." But I do know that if it makes a dedicated chicken owner sleep a little better at night thinking that they've done all they can for their birds' comfort over a long, cold night, then the two minutes it takes to toss some out seems well worth it.

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire here, after almost 64 years on this planet I've come to realize that no matter which side of an argument or discussion folks are on, they can always cite a finding, a study, a research paper, passage in a book or magazine or, especially in this day and age, on the internet, which supports their position. The trick to thorough research is to seek out and find neutral sources - those which present all sides of a position in one spot. Admittedly they are hard to find but as a professional writer who strives for accuracy in the columns I write, I know that they do exist. Then, based on all of the information, form your own conclusion but realize that you are rarely going to change someone else's mind. You might be able to add to their storehouse of information, but if they have their own conclusion firmly entrenched then it becomes the better part of valor to leave them to it. The same with yours - if you have it written in stone in your mind then no amount of discussion to the contrary will chip away at that stone. And that's all okay - it's what makes us who we are.

If there was only one "correct" way to raise chickens, then this entire forum could be read in a half hour - both pages of it. The very size of this forum and the diversity of people using and contributing to it shows the opposite. The key to learning, and the path to good teaching, is to remain open minded and respect the experience and opinions of others. The key to the wealth of information and opinion here at BYC is our unique ability to sort through, try what seems like it might work in our situations, or choose to ignore it and go on the next thing.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'll just to back to my neutral corner.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! I will remain a member of course, I think I will steer clear of this discussion though and remain on the neutral (I give a bit of corn in the evening ) side, I don't want to be spoken to in a horrible fashion by certain members. It is not so much the evidence they are supporting (which if based on scientific fact of course it is accurate) but the way some of these members are talking and phrasing things which I feel is phrased wrongly and rudely. ( towards Leghorn) It isn't rocket science communication skills....there is a way to state your opinion/advice whilest being diplomatic, nice and polite at the same time and not rude and authoritative and bossy. Aside from that I shall stay and represent England! ( Is this a mainly American website? It is extremely informative and I love it! Thanks for having me!

Quote:
I think that's a good idea about adding chick starter grower (unmedicated) if they eat a lot of food aside from their feed. Just supply extra calcium or oyster shell. All feeds carry corn and/or soybean. Corn is the base for feeds because it supplies a lot of calories which are needed. On top of that you have nutrients and other grains. But the abundance of calories comes from corn.

Chickens should get a minimum of 16% protein aside from carbs/calories/corn. If chickens eat alot of other foods, it's a good idea to raise the protein. However if chickens get small amounts of corn or leftovers, I don't think that will make a big enough difference. I don't think that your chickens need a feed change for the corn treat they get at night because their body may need more calories It's on top of a satisfactory diet. If they free range, they may need extra protein to compensate.

Chickens digest their feed mostly at night. This creates warmth on it's own. I think that an evening treat of corn is just like throwing an extra log on the fire.
smile.png

At the University of Minnesota at Madison Poultry Science Web Sight there are 100 year old adds from White Leghorn magazine advertising brood stock for sale out of 300 egg a year layers. Back then the chickens were the farm wives' responsibility. This was also before Rural Electrification had taken so much of the drudgery out of farm life and the miracle of electricity had made keeping large numbers of laying hens a paying proposition. But electricity made it possible for the first time in human history for the farm wife to keep large flocks of chickens and for the farm wife to financially benefit from large scale poultry farming by keeping light in the hen house for 14 or more hours a day during the Winter.

The egg industry back in the day was dominated by "egg brokers" who bought up eggs from the farm wife in times of plenty for a few cents a dozen and keep their speculation eggs in refrigerated warehouses in chilled brine, lime, water glass, or lard. Anything to block air, and bacteria to prevent or retard spoilage. Then around the Holidays most house wives cooked and baked with these 6-9 months old eggs because they were the only eggs available. Electricity, home refrigeration, and scientific chicken breeding changed all of this.

Please don't take my poor words for it, do your own research, and while you're at it draw every pint of water that your household and chickens use every day out of a well and tote this water for at least 100 yards, then do this every day for the next 30 days. I think before the month is out most of you will come-around to my way of thinking.

At any rate the slaughter age for most meat (aka) broiler chickens today is between 4 to 6 WEEKS, not months. This finishing weight before slaughter is 100% the result of superior genetics, breeding, food, and husbandry, but not a day of it is because of artificial hormones or chemicals in the feed. What ever your production goals are, they are your production goals and nothing else. We are all free to chose to produce as much or as little as our little hearts and pocket books will support. I hope that the new chicken keepers realize this and don't blindly follow the lead of people who don't share your goals. Believe me when I say that there is no correct way to feed chickens, only ways that are more productive or ways that are less productive.

Last edited:
Chickens will always go for corn even if they aren't all that hungry. Mine will anyway. I go out a few minutes before they roost and toss out a little corn. It gives them something to digest while they are sleeping and I've read that keeps their body heat up a bit. Don't know if its true but they enjoy the corn.

Back
Top Bottom