Cornish crossed with other breeds

I harvested 2 of the dark Cornish over my meat mutts today. One was black (bigger) and the other was black with red. (Smaller). They are 17 weeks. I have one barred of my meat mix that age, but I couldn't catch him, yet. I hopefully will by tomorrow so I can compare.

But here these 2 are
View attachment 2405084

Black cut up, neck included
View attachment 2405083

red
View attachment 2405082
I've had 3 back surgeries so I can't catch mine either but I've found that a well placed .22 to the head "catches them" quite well....I just butchered Dark Cornish/Barred Rock crosses, way more meat than pure Barred Rock and larger than pure Dark Cornish. Tastes great too :)

I was contemplating getting a Cornish Cock for batches of terminal crosses with my Partridge Plymouth Rocks, actually, so I'm interested in others experiences with crossing the Cornish. I know I wouldn't get the Cornish X chicken, and that wouldn't be the goal. I was just hoping for that hybrid would give me a little extra for the pot.
I just posted about my experiment crossing Dark Cornish rooster with Barred Rock hens.

Out of 19 birds, we averaged about 4.1lbs per bird. The Cornish/EE was the smallest but not the youngest. These carcasses don't contain any necks, feet, giblets. Just an empty body. Cornish cross was from previous butchering.

Comparison between the Dark Cornish/EE cross and a pure Dark Cornish.
IMG_1090.JPG

Cornish/EE, Cornish, Cornish Cross (11ish weeks).
IMG_1094.JPG

Cornish/EE
IMG_1091.JPG

Cornish
IMG_1092.JPG

Cornish Cross
IMG_1093.JPG

Back
Top Bottom