Cornish Rock Chicks.

I called the hatchery that TSC uses today and the lady suggested that if you do want to keep them as pets and what not to get vitamins for bone health. Apparently they will get so big that their legs can break. I had to seperate my little guy again tonight... he just looks uncomfortable due to his largeness and I feel like a bad mom... I saw somewhere on BYC to limit their food to 12 hours a day.

Oh, so I should get vitamins for 'em? And fed 12 hours apart.. How muh should I feed? 6 ounces each? Thats how much grain my baby horse (foal) gets..

That is a good question. I will have to find out and get back to you one that. Are they all the same age??? I am going to also have to find out which vitamins to get and what not and I will deff get back to you on that. I have 6 "assorted reds" and they look just like your ladies... they are super cute but wow are those cornish rocks gettin big!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah, all same age. Thank you everyone for info.
smile.png
Also, is panting a normal behaviour? They had water and a pool..

Murray McMurray www.mcmurrayhatchery.com sells something they call Broiler Booster. Welp Hatchery www.welphatchery.com sells a vitamin pack. I use the Broiler Booster because I ordered my chicks from Murray. It is fed at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. It won't hurt any of the other chickens that drink it. It is vitamins and electrolytes and it really seems to help. They ship it out really fast, too.

I think if I remember right about the cornish chicks is to pull the feed from them for 12 hours in the day. Meaning free feed them for 12 hours and pull feed for 12 hours. They will eat constantly as they don't know when to stop. There is someone on here that was able to keep her cornish past the life expectancy, I do believe the trick was pulling the food. So you could give them food from 6am-6pm then pull the food til the next morning at 6am.
If they are panting I would say they are feeling uncomfortable, probably due to their weight. Make sure they have plenty of water. In the picture I see you have the little chick waterers, you may want to get the bigger ones, like the gallon. I would be concerned their beaks are too big to get enough water from the little one.
Definitely look into getting some sort of vitamins for them so their legs can stay strong.
I hope they live long for you as pets. Just be prepared just in case their bodies cannot hold up for as long as you would like.

Quote:
The 12hr on feed/12hrs off is usually started at 2-3wks old.
This just reduces leg problems and falling over dead untill they are processed at 6-10wks. Getting them to live past that is another matter. Mine seem to pant a lot too.

Thank you for all the help everyone. I'm purchasig some vitamins asap, and making a new waterer.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom