Cornish rocks

AmyLittle

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
Ohio
I just bought some chicks at tsc and rural king. 5 of them were marked as cornish rocks. Are these meat birds? If so can you tell them apart from other chicks? We also got 3 white leghorns and they look alike.

Yes, the Cornish Rock/Cornish Cross are meat birds. They will look very similar to your WL chicks at this point, but their growth will make their identity very obvious within the next 10 days or so. Is this your first time in raising meat birds? If so, I would suggest doing some reading in the Meat Bird forum as there are some managerial differences that are employed in the raising of Cornish Cross depending on your ultimate goal of processing age, etc.

Yes, the Cornish Rock/Cornish Cross are meat birds.  They will look very similar to your WL chicks at this point, but their growth will make their identity very obvious within the next 10 days or so.  Is this your first time in raising meat birds?  If so, I would suggest doing some reading in the Meat Bird forum as there are some managerial differences that are employed in the raising of Cornish Cross depending on your ultimate goal of processing age, etc.

Thank you, yes this is my first time with meat birds. My fiancé has been wanting to start raising chickens for food. We didn't know we were buying meat birds when we got these but we will research and make it work.

It is my first time and I had to keep my 25 separated from the other chicks. They would lay on the smaller chicks and kill them. That's why I have four brooders now. And I switched them to a game bird feed with 21% protein that isn't medicated. But for two weeks old they are huge!! If they taste good I'm gonna order some more later this year!!

Back
Top Bottom