Cornish Thread

First time free ranging for 4 week old cornish X...supervised of course. So far no interest in bug

ISO some LF White Cornish eggs or even some cull birds. Wanting to start a small flock. A couple dozen hatching eggs or a trio shipped to Nebraska. Thanks!

We never had a winter! It droped to -2 celsius only once and thats the lowest i recall all winter.

It's funny right after I wrote this, we got a heat wave. The snow has melted, and the chickens are finding green grass. They are very happy!
The weather man is calling for an inch of rain tonight- it should have been snow. I'm just thankful it's not freezing rain (ugh).

I'm counting the days till I get my new Dark Cornish chicks (hatchery). Three more months to wait!

Last edited:
CanadianBuckeye, hope theyre decent quality. Ive never had anything very remarkable from a hatchery. Nice birds by their own right but nothing Ive been wild about but I never did keep up with the feed I was giving them or anything. I was thinking about the feed suggestions you sent me a while back. Might have to try to implement it. Really want two pens so I can try fermented feed to one pen.

CanadianBuckeye, hope theyre decent quality. Ive never had anything very remarkable from a hatchery. Nice birds by their own right but nothing Ive been wild about but I never did keep up with the feed I was giving them or anything. I was thinking about the feed suggestions you sent me a while back. Might have to try to implement it. Really want two pens so I can try fermented feed to one pen.
I'm not expecting anything anywhere near exhibition quality, but I am hoping they won't look like pea combed Barnevelders! Although I can forgive that if they lay like Barnevelders.
I do have one hen from last year that I like, so if I get a half decent cockerel I'll be pleased. Around here the chickens have to run faster than the coyotes so I need decent leg length.
I've not tried fermented feed, but I may for the very young chicks. If their poops get too wet that will be the end of that.
The older chickens get quite a bit of variety including meat and free range so I don't feel there's a need for it there.

Barnevelder! Thats the best description Ive heard thats right on. According to one of the posts I was reading it actually causes more solid poop. Ill have to try and see what my results are before I recomend it to anyone

Barnevelder! Thats the best description Ive heard thats right on. According to one of the posts I was reading it actually causes more solid poop. Ill have to try and see what my results are before I recomend it to anyone

In my experience, the wetter the feed the wetter the poop. But that wasn't fermented, that might be different. I fed my week olds some Radicchio, they loved it but I obviously over did it, and had to deal with pasty butt for a week afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom