Cornish Thread

What do your dark cornish hens/roos dress out to and at what ages? Do you feed them higher protein to get to a higher weight?

Mine are really compact but pretty heavy. I'm wondering if it would behoove me to wait a bit longer to process. They're about 3 months old. They are NOT cornish cross.

Extra points for use of the word behoove in your question.

Extra points for use of the word behoove in your question.

Not a problem. Glad I could entertain. Dictionary.reference.com does list it as archaic.
hmm.png

Anyway, I'm just wondering how much more I'm going to get out of these chickens meat-wise if I keep growing them out. I'm going to keep 3 nice specimens for breeding, but the other 7 have to go to freezer camp. Are they going to be significantly more meaty in another 4 weeks or so?

Not a problem. Glad I could entertain. Dictionary.reference.com does list it as archaic.
hmm.png

Anyway, I'm just wondering how much more I'm going to get out of these chickens meat-wise if I keep growing them out. I'm going to keep 3 nice specimens for breeding, but the other 7 have to go to freezer camp. Are they going to be significantly more meaty in another 4 weeks or so?
I think it would be worth it to wait another 4 weeks on them. I did some a different ages last fall and I think at 4 months they are very much worth processing and making a good sized bird. I am sure they are still meaty already, just because they are Cornish ;)

Just ordered some Cornish from cackle (I know they won't be SQ but I had a gift certicate about to expire lol ) planning on crossing them to naked necks :) but anyone breeding spangled Cornish bantams? Would love some eggs!!!!

My hatchery dark Cornish hens are laying eggs. I have a rooster that has mated with them. I've put one egg under another hen that's brooding right now. I hope it was fertile. Got about 18 more days to go.

Back
Top Bottom