Cornish Thread

Can't see enough from photo to feel confident enough to offer an opinion. Could be white laced reds, could be splash phase blue laced reds. Either way they are under laced.

Breeding to a dark won't help the lacing any, but should tell you which it is. If WLR, should be carrying at least one (preferably two) copies of dominant white. So roughly half (if parent only possesses one copy) of the chicks should receive a copy, and show white. If they are splash (2 copies of blue) BLR all chicks from a dark cross should show blue. If they are a very light true blue (one copy of blue), then half blue, and half black chicks.

Now where it could really get interesting is if they posses both dominant white and blue. And I was reading somewhere not to long ago that some lines of WLR did indeed carry blue hidden under the dominant white.

Now to my understanding the only difference between the single laced, and double laced patterns, is the presence of columbian in single lacing, You would have to breed toward re estalishing Columbian in the crosses to get the single lacing cleaned up. Sounds like a fun project.

Can't see enough from photo to feel confident enough to offer an opinion. Could be white laced reds, could be splash phase blue laced reds. Either way they are under laced.

Breeding to a dark won't help the lacing any, but should tell you which it is. If WLR, should be carrying at least one (preferably two) copies of dominant white. So roughly half (if parent only possesses one copy) of the chicks should receive a copy, and show white. If they are splash (2 copies of blue) BLR all chicks from a dark cross should show blue. If they are a very light true blue (one copy of blue), then half blue, and half black chicks.

Now where it could really get interesting is if they posses both dominant white and blue. And I was reading somewhere not to long ago that some lines of WLR did indeed carry blue hidden under the dominant white.

Now to my understanding the only difference between the single laced, and double laced patterns, is the presence of columbian in single lacing, You would have to breed toward re estalishing Columbian in the crosses to get the single lacing cleaned up. Sounds like a fun project.
Do you think finding a single-laced Dark male would be in the best interest to darken it up?

The actual blue is darker than what you see in the photos, but I will be the first to admit that I simply lack any ability to photograph birds. That would be interesting and would also explain the blue feathering down towards the hock of the male, which is a white laced red. Interesting...

Do you think finding a single-laced Dark male would be in the best interest to darken it up?

The actual blue is darker than what you see in the photos, but I will be the first to admit that I simply lack any ability to photograph birds. That would be interesting and would also explain the blue feathering down towards the hock of the male, which is a white laced red. Interesting...

I would think breeding to a single laced male would certainly simplify cleaning up the pattern versus bringing in double lacing. As to making the blue a deeper blue, I would think breeding to a black laced bird would help.

Here's one of my pullets. I was having trouble posting them before that's why I suggested Facebook.

Can I ask a serious question?

The birds I recently got had an upper respiratory infection of some sort. After some injections of Tylan 50, they have stopped with that. They are also on medicated feed as they all had blood in their feces. Now, all of that is cleared up but the cockerel has black, runny and somewhat tarry poop. The hens and pullet are fine and are in excellent shape, however the male acts as though nothing is wrong, is getting some color to his face and eats voraciously and is putting weight on.

I wouldn't be concerned with the poop except it is getting caught in his fluff below the vent. Is there anything I can do, at this point, to stop that poop or is that a hazard with Cornish (really...it's disgusting)? I've already plucked quite a bit, but I'd prefer him to have what feathers he can due to the unheated barn and that winter hasn't really hit OK yet.

Back
Top Bottom